Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 29, 2024, 01:14:51 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Some upholstery pics...guesses on price?

Started by Highvelocity, March 21, 2012, 07:59:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Highvelocity

This is a good one.  The original upholsterer used "Purple Burlap" for the inlays on these seats.  Not only does it suck up water, sweat etc. but it had to be murder on your skin in the heat.  Burlap should be used to makes sacks to carry clams in, that it...lol They did a nice job but...C'mon man. 

Everything white is my work.

There are about 8 individual pieces here, 6 in the back and 2 up front that go into a speedboat.  They are all center sections.  A quote was given of $1350...I am doing it as a friend for less then half that. 

But I wanted to see you guys agreed with the local shop's quote...

Opinions?? 

Boats Love Hundred Dollar Bills

Highvelocity

JuneC

Can't see enough detail to come up with an approximate price.  Are the seats stapled on with marine underlining and hydem?  Or are there zips in the boxing?  Are they sewn with listing pulls under the knee?  Looks to me like they might be just shaped with a slight rise for the knee bolster without a pull.  What's that white and yellow piece in your bottom pic?  I assume that was part of the job.  How's it constructed? 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Highvelocity

Hi June,
     No underlining or hydem....these are all pull and staple cushions with top stitched boxing seams. 
There are stays/listings in all of the knees about 4 iches from the top.

The piece on the bottom is a side batton which is made with a 1/4 inch ply base and the yellow is another piece of shaped 1/4 with foam.  The white is layed essentially flat no foam and then the yellow pieces on top, then everything is screwed, wrapped and stapled.  The original shop did a great job contructing these seats, all the wood is mairne grade and sealed.

Even in the battons they used Purple Burlap...I think the last owner was a Ravens fan.

scarab29

If that's all the pieces , the 1350 seems cool . If the wood and foam was good like you say , and no extras there in labor , maybe a little high but I usually fudge a little for hidden problems. Got in a bit of trouble after a quote on a l bench as when he got it out it was in need of lots of wood work. Looking good there !! 8)
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Highvelocity

Only about $100 in material so its really all labor.  So I thought $1350 was a little high myself.  But here is the thing, if I do a similar job again I will throw $1100 out there with confidence...

Mike

March 22, 2012, 12:31:00 pm #6 Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 03:25:51 pm by MikeM8560
Sounds fair to me what about time to remove and install is that in there quote.   At less then Half for a friend it would have to be a good friend  thoose buckets and rear bench I did pleated was 900 for a friend labor only

Highvelocity

Mike the remove and install will take about an hour.  1/2 hour each way...  Maybe I should go a bit over half...I haven't told him the price yet.  I figure I have 12 hours into it...

Peppy

My rule of thumb is, it'll take three times longer to put it back together than it did to gut. 1/2 hour gut = 1 1/2 hour to reinstall. Only a guess, but you probably upholstered over the holes, added foam and it doesn't fit, stripes don't quite line up, you get rammy and ding a corner, it's too big now with a welt on it, it's not big enough without a welt, you can see staples and need to put mesh on it, ect, ect....
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

DBR1957

I have a "Friend " that I've saved a lot of money for. However, reciprocation is
not his thing. I have one less "Friend" now. I look to having fewer friends in the
future. Can't send a kid to college or pay the mortgage being a good guy and I
don't want someone who is only a friend when they need something.

I'm sure your situation is different.

Highvelocity

I feel like I struck a nerve here with the "Friend" discount.  I for one, have always struggled with this.  Are some friends better than others? or closer?  of course.  You don't want to kill anyone on the price but then again time is money and no one wants to feel taken advantage of...   

DBR1957

As long as the friend is there for you when you need them and reciprocates in kind, there is nothing wrong with a friend discount.

I have another friend who has stripped 2 boats, patterned and cut the material,
brings it to me to sew and doesn't expect me to cut the price. He does car alarms,
radio, GPS and DVD installs and has been there for me. When we help each other
we work with each other and learn what each respective service involves. He says
he wouldn't take my job for the world. He appreciates that my instruction allows
him to do part of the work himself to save money.

If you help each other out and one doesn't leave the other holding the bag
everything is great.

Highvelocity

I appreciate all the reponses, I spoke with a few people over the weekend as well and I am going to up my price a bit, but still save him a lot.

scarab29

If you back out the materials and if it only took you 12 hours then you'd make a good buck @ 1350. I know you are doing this as a sideline but don't be afraid to charge for your time. You can't get the time back !! Btw looking good !
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Highvelocity

Thanks for that, this is a great forum, and the people on here are awesome.

Ed