Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 25, 2024, 06:32:35 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Doggie damage

Started by sofadoc, October 25, 2012, 05:51:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

This is nothing new. We've all seen damage from dogs, and other animals.
I've been repairing a sofa for one of my customers for several years now. Usually, a chewed corner on one of the cushions. The last time, I worked a miracle on the frame, and restored it to presentable condition.

This is the latest (this is just one of MANY damaged places):

She actually thinks that I can just do a few "nip & tucks", and it'll be good as new.

When I told her that a complete recovery will be necessary this time, she said "Oh well, I think my dog is past the "chewing" stage now."
I asked her how old the dog is..........he's 15
I've never seen the dog, only heard him from behind a locked door. He sounds like a hungry Doberman. The woman's front door is practically in splinters. And the legs on the coffee table look like toothpicks.

We've discussed our pets before. Many people right here on this forum love their animals unconditionally. I have pets myself. I love them, but I think that I keep my love for them in proper perspective. If they did damage to my home, they would have to brave the elements.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

needles eye

No footsteps backwards at the lions den .........

scarab29

Guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks !!
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Mojo

I have 3 German Shpherds. If they did something like that I would be so pissed they would end up in cages.

Thankfully none are chewers. Well the puppy is but we keep her occupied with rawhide bones. She has never chewed furniture.

Chris

Grebo

October 26, 2012, 02:13:06 am #4 Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 02:13:31 am by Grebo
Both of ours had a brief chewing stage as pups, only damage done was one carpet corner.
Soon solved with giving them a bit more exercise.
Now if we leave them in the house for any time, they just go to sleep.

Can't understand any one putting up with it.  We had a cat once that started attacking the sofa arms, so I made some small clear plastic panels, that put her off & she didn't try any more.

Suzi

mike802

When I first went into this business and was doing auto trim, I had a customer who's dog completely trashed his cars interior.  Three times!  Each time he brought the car to me, foam repair, new seat covers front and back, new door panels, etc.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

JuneC

Had a customer once who decided to lock up his uncaged parrot inside the head (bathroom) of his Bertram because it was being loud and disturbing dinner with a new girlfriend.   The bird took the place apart.  I didn't get to fix that mess - it happened before I got to his cockpit cushions, but I can just imagine the mess.  Their beaks are insanely strong.  Apparently it did a lot of wood damage.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

JDUpholstery

Dogs are like children, without proper training and guidance they will misbehave...I have a dog that has full access to the house, uses a dog door, and stays home alone for hours at a time....I never worry about it....I just do not understand how people can tolerate an animal like that...fixing the furniture is fine but if you do not address the issue at hand it is just going to happen again! It is good for business though!