Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 01:15:45 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Curved Back Restaurant booth

Started by Icupholstery, March 10, 2012, 06:31:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Icupholstery

I was working on a curved back booth with vinyl and when I was stapling the back I got a bunch of creases and fold marks it was hard to pull and staple.  I was wondering if anyone had some tips or tricks for cutting the vinyl and putting it on a curved back restaurant booth so I don't get any creases.

lc

March 10, 2012, 07:19:15 pm #1 Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 07:20:47 pm by lc
Hi Icupholstery

Its a bit hard for me to explain on here.
someone may do better at this than me trying to describe it..some on here have the knack to put up pictures I haven't figured that out yet .

I'll try to give you what I can ..as your pulling the material over the top sometimes you have to make slits in it so it can ease the corner..it can be tricky because you don't want to snip too far you have to do it in the bottom also where you tucked it under. Curved backs can be a challenge ..the other thing that can help is heat on the vinyl some use a heat gun..not too close though and others use a steamer , I have heard of people using hair dryers as well on the heat settings...sometimes these little tricks can be a blessing. the heat sometimes shrinks it to shape and also aids you to stretch it over tighter while the vinyl is warm.

I hope this helps ...anyone else here that can add to this ??

Icupholstery

Thanks for the responce I tried all those maybe I just need more practice.

lc

March 10, 2012, 08:01:17 pm #3 Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 08:02:20 pm by lc
Practice is what it takes and sometimes lots of grumbling  ..too bad I wasn`t close by I could show you..I used to teach classes but I doubt you near me.. I'm in northern Ontario

Have you been doing upholstery long
I am so bad at computers and I have messed up by hitting some wrong key so now I can,t do question marks or quotations I can do upholstery .... so I apologize for the punctuation . I,ll have to get my son to show me where I went wrong .ha ha
Stay on board with the group here . They are a great help and inspiration and don,t  feel odd when they get silly ..join in and have fun and get some great advice !!

scott_san_diego

On the curved back you will probably need to put a vertical seam at the curved area.  I would first draw a vertical line down the center of the curve to use as a reference point.  Cut your fabric about 2 1/2" bigger so they will overlap the vertical line.  Then transfer this line onto the fabric.  Top and bottom piece.  At the top of the booth, the fabric is going to be getting a little bit bigger an each side of the seams.  This will help you go over the top to staple.  At the bottom of the back it should be getting a little bit smaller.  This should eliminate any wrinkles.  Almost forgot, you need to add a half inch seam allowance on each side for when you sew the two pieces together.
Hope this helps.

JuneC

Read this article.  Some good points here as well as the advice already given.

http://marinefabricatormag.com/articles/0910_st2_inside_curve.html

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields