Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 03:17:48 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Umbrella inquiry

Started by Mike, March 02, 2012, 02:20:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

A few month ago I got a email asking if I could recover a 8' umbrella  a d they would be down later in the year.
I forgo all about it then this morning I have a e mail that they will be down this weekend a d may e. e could look at it.  I replied yes they could bring it to me to look but. It to wayste time I said ( they had the  material) that the labor would probably  at least $400. I got a reply that the umbrella. Ew was only &200 and it would. E cheaper to buy a new one and donate the fabric.
Tell me somtjing I don't know ;)

JuneC

People don't think.  Commodities are always cheaper than custom made.  I've told numerous people that my own BBQ cover came from Home Depot because it was cheaper than making one out of Sunbrella for myself.  However, I did make one for a customer out of Captain Navy just because he wanted it.  Charged him $160 for it.  I can't compete with Indonesians and I'm not going to try. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

bobbin

New backs and seat slings for "director's chairs"... every season I get at least 4 requests for them!  I tell them to go to a place like Crate and Barrel, Christmas Tree Shop, etc..  Can I make them? unquestionably.  Do I want to make them! yeah, sure.  Is it "worth it" for the customer? UNLIKELY. 

I'm with you, June. 

Peppy

I actually built this umbrella from scratch for a guy.

One of the goofier projects. I've recovered 2 or 3 patio umbrellas for people. They were very nice teak frames and they wanted specific patterns to match their houses. And some people get sick of buying chinese crap
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠