Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 01:27:31 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Thread Fraying when sewing welt

Started by Virginia Taylor, February 22, 2012, 11:18:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Virginia Taylor

Ok Guys I have got my Pfaff 545  sewing good till I start sewing Welt then the Thread Frays.

What do I check now?    Thanks
Virginia Taylor
All American Etc Upholstery
Jacksonville, AR

sofadoc

Is the needle going through the center of the hole in the welt foot? Sometimes, if the needle is a little off-center, the cord will push the needle a bit, causing it to chaffe against the inside of the needle hole in the foot. If this is the case, you might be able to loosen the front foot, and move it to the left or right a smidge. I've also heard of some people having the needle hole drilled out a little bigger.
I assume that you're using the proper size foot with the proper size welt cord?
Such as 5/32" cord with a 1/4" welt foot?   
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

fragged8

Virginia Taylor

Virginia Taylor
All American Etc Upholstery
Jacksonville, AR

Grebo

BTW, Welcome to the 545 gang  ;D
My first & still #1 machine.

Also check all over the foot for any possible sharp bits, you can smooth them out with some emery paper or a file 'paper type' nail file.  ;)

Suzi.

kodydog

Just got my Juki up and running. Same thing, sewed fine on the slow stuff but when I opened her up on the welts the thread frayed.

The first thing I did was look at pictures on the net to make sure everything was in order and sure enough the bottom most guide is broken off.

Untill I can order a new one, I did all the suggestions above. But what helped the most was I turned the needle hole slightly toward me. The thread is going in at an odd angle and is rubbing on the fairly sharp groove above the hole. This small adjustment keeps it from fraying.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

fragged8

now i never had you pegged as a girl with a nail file Grebo ;-)

how the no internet for a month going ? heheheh...

rich

Grebo

Quote from: fragged8 on February 23, 2012, 06:51:17 am
now i never had you pegged as a girl with a nail file Grebo ;-)

how the no internet for a month going ? heheheh...

rich

Really,

I will have you know I do acrylic & Gel nail 'enhancements'  in my spare time  ???

8)   You haven't seem me right  ;)

Suzi