Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 01:27:45 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

I'm trying to find a reverse pedal.

Started by Qwerty27807, February 21, 2012, 09:39:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Qwerty27807

February 21, 2012, 09:39:52 am Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 09:43:25 am by Qwerty27807
I am looking for something, and I don't even know if it exists.

I have an Adler 467 machine that originally had several automatic functions like back-tack and thread trimming.  When the factory it came from was liquidated, they removed the components that made that possible, and sold just the basic machine and table.  (I got it for $500, so I can't whine too much.)

The reverse function is now activated by pressing a small nub of the arm the sticks out of the front of the machine about half an inch.  While it works, I like to keep two hands on the work, and the reverse spring is very stout when pressed with just one finger. (All that fits on it.)

I contacted Durkopp Adler, and the appropriate reverse arm will cost over $200 -- not what I'm willing to pay!

http://i.imgur.com/GtUBN.png

I would like to find a foot pedal that has something like a sheathed bicycle-style cable] that I can attach to the reverse nub.  (I have considered using some sort of rope and pulley type of set-up, but I would like to use a sheathed cable to allow the pedal to be moved where it would be most comfortable rather than limited to straight below the reverse arm.)

Anyone ever seen a pedal like this, where I could get one, or what to search Google for?  

I keep finding guitar and home sewing machine (electric) pedals, not what I need.

Thanks!

sofadoc

I once owned a Singer 211 that had a foot pedal in place of a knee lift, like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Singer-Industrial-Two-Row-Chain-Stitch-Sewing-Machine-300U203A-3-8-Gauge-/170782462548?pt=BI_Sewing_Machines&hash=item27c36d9254
You might be able to rig up something similar for reverse.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

I would contact Bob Kovar and see what he has to say about it. he may have one laying around his
shop.

I know he does a lot of service work for the Amish and they have some pretty amazing ways they set up their machines. :)

His number is: 419--380-8540

Good luck,

Chris

Qwerty27807

February 21, 2012, 10:13:34 am #3 Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 11:18:28 am by Qwerty27807
Something like that right pedal in the eBay listing would probably work.

As stupid as it sounds, what is something like that called?

At 0:12 of this video shows one idea I've had, made by someone else:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Il4vdh1Rd0

But I want to avoid the cable and pulley stuff.

Mike

My Juki has a lever on front for reverse.
Booth my machines had a knee lever to lift the foot but I don't use that on have them on the machines. 
Perhaps one would wold work for what you want you press the lever to the side with your knee

bobbin

A friend of mine uses an older Consew (255?) and rigged up some leech line to the reverse lever on the front of the machine and ran it down under the bench with some pulleys and attached it to a foot pedal.  Works slick and was a clever solution to eliminate the need to use your hand for reverse. 

Automation is the balls.  Both my Jukis are full function machines and once you've used one for any amount of time you'll never be satisfied with anything else.  I was "hooked" in 1983 (Mitsubishis) and it took me over 20 yrs. to buy one.  They're fabulous. 

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

There are quite a few ways to hook up a foot peadal operated reverser.  Some machines make it easier than others for sure.

-Pneumatic cylinder
-Cable (bike cable setup that was said) off the reverse lever

I've seen the bike cable system setup, and it's nice in that you can easily postion the foot pedal for the reverse where it should be if it's seperate from the foot tredle for the motor; off to the left of the treadle.  This is a standard setup, as you can reverse with your left foot and actuate the motor with your right foot, all at the same time, on the fly. 

Honestly, when I read that Adler was selling the mechanisim for the reverse for this machine for $200 range, I thought that sounded like a friggin' steal!  I would have thought without research this would have been hundreds of dollars.  I have presser feet or simple replacement needle plates for Durkopp Adler that are over $200, easy.  In fact, lots of DA stuff is priced very high.  Like my Dad says about Pfaff and Durkopp Adler; if you want to run thier machines, you have to pay thier prices, much like Mercedes, BMW.

Qwerty27807

Greg:

Do you have a foot pedal like that, or know where I should look?

Is the price of parts enough of an issue that I should consider buying another machine and selling this one?

alex K

i have one of those pedals, in my spare parts.
I've ordered it form my local Mechanic/parts supplier.

you should have no issues to get it ordered, i  even used have a catalog
i wanted to look up the number, but i cant find it, must have thrown it in garbage.

it is spring loaded.

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

http://keysew.com/Webpages/DemoImages/SUPCatalogFootPedals.pdf

You can see all of the foot pedals we sell here; we have these comming out of our ears, like any other sewing dealer would.