Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 12:26:30 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Bartering services

Started by sofadoc, February 08, 2012, 03:14:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lamx

Quotesofadoc: How does a go between for bartering make money? The idea of bartering is that there is no money involved. How does the go between get paid for his work?

In the barter club I belonged to, the club arranged all trades and the club kept a commission (I believe it was 4%) of every trade. The commission was paid in club credits, so the club owner could obtain goods and services provided by members of the club. No cash changed hands.

Don't know how a go-between would work it, he might be getting a cash commission from one (or both) traders or he might be marking up the services and raking some services off for himself: I'll trade you a funeral  for your upholstering a sofa and chair (the sofa belongs to the Funeral Director and the chair belongs to the Go-Between)

Ed

byhammerandhand

Isn't this why money got invented, so that if you wanted a bushel of wheat, you did not need to find someone interested in your two chickens and quart of figs?
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

scottymc

Quote from: byhammerandhand on February 14, 2012, 09:20:24 am
Isn't this why money got invented, so that if you wanted a bushel of wheat, you did not need to find someone interested in your two chickens and quart of figs?

Beat me to it , that's my answer to anyone who wants to barter.
Quote from: lamx on February 14, 2012, 09:09:27 am
Quotesofadoc: How does a go between for bartering make money? The idea of bartering is that there is no money involved. How does the go between get paid for his work?

In the barter club I belonged to, the club arranged all trades and the club kept a commission (I believe it was 4%) of every trade. The commission was paid in club credits, so the club owner could obtain goods and services provided by members of the club. No cash changed hands.

Don't know how a go-between would work it, he might be getting a cash commission from one (or both) traders or he might be marking up the services and raking some services off for himself: I'll trade you a funeral  for your upholstering a sofa and chair (the sofa belongs to the Funeral Director and the chair belongs to the Go-Between)

Ed

I've been in a barter club all my life, the club gets a commision the clubs called the government and they call the commission tax, the beauty of this club is I can even travel to your country and I am given automatic membership with my first purchase in the country, I believe they call it an economy. :) 

byhammerandhand

And when you think you understand what money is, it's all fiction:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/423/the-invention-of-money

Read the transcript or if you have an hour, listen to the show.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison