Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 01:22:32 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Double Needle Machine Question

Started by Merge, February 19, 2012, 12:55:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Merge

Hello all,
  I have the opportunity to buy a double needle Adler sewing machine, but have a question about changing it to a single needle unit.  I understand that it is easy enough to make the machine sew with just one needle by removing the other needle, but I want to know if I have to change the needle plate and feed dog in order to use certain feet like for welt in particular.  I searched all over the net and didn't see any welt feet made to work on a double needle machine just on single needle machines.  I hope that makes sense.   Does anyone here use or have experience with a double needle machine?  I haven't been in the market for a double needle, but do want a long arm Adler and this one I have found is close and fits my budget.

By the way, if you have never sewed on an Adler, use one if you ever get a chance.  We have a few at work and they are the smoothest machines myself and coworkers have ever used.  They are quite a bit more than a Consew (which I have now) but really are workhorses.  I'd say they are the Mercedes Benz of sewing machines in my opinion.  Thanks for our time and I look forward to your input.

Chad (merge)

RocketmanMH1

I Have been down this road and can advise you, somewhat. I need to know if it has a single hook or double.

Merge

RocketmanMH1

I bought an Artisan 4420RB that I wanted to try to convert to a single ned. set up.  I contacted several Artisan dealers that said it couldn't be done.  I have an extensive mechanical background and I felt it could be done.   I finally got in touch with the right guy and we discussed it through.  It can be done!!!! But for the cost of the parts you could buy another machine and have money left over. What I chose to do was to get the guage set that I could use the most and set it up that way. Unless you have a strong urge to get elbow deep into set up and timing issues, I don't recommend it.  If you have a need for a d/n set up I would go for it, you can use it to do flat seam sewing and all with one needle removed then add the other for double top stitch and such. If the adler is built like the Artisan you CAN NOT use cording feet or any other single needle feet with it because of the offset in the needle bar and presser feet. You can still modify double needle  feet to do single needle sewing such as door panels and the like. I hope I have given you some info you can use. If you need more..... PM me and I'll give you my phone no.

Mike