Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 10:26:48 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

New Law Affects East Coast Upholstery Shops

Started by TheHogRing, January 29, 2012, 11:21:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHogRing

The Ozone Transport Commission is a multi-state organization that's responsible for advising the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) on solutions to air pollution. Recently, it put into effect manufacturing restrictions to reduce volatile organic compounds (VOC) in sealants, primers and adhesives that contribute to poor air quality.

These VOCs are bad for the environment, but they're also a critical component of upholstery adhesives. In fact, it's the high content of VOCs that make our glue so sticky and resistant to high temperatures. The new rule, based on regulations already in effect in California, calls for a reduction from the current 600 grams of VOCs per liter to a mere 250 grams.

The result is an adhesive that is much weaker than what we auto trimmers need.

For more details: http://tinyurl.com/7cy4qce

Shops that don't comply may face legal penalties.

DBR1957

This has been coming for years.

Some time ago we tried the 3M water-based latex glue. It came as a
2-part mix that combined at the nozzle of the gun. It was a PIA to use.

I remember quite a few boat headliners falling down on young boats because
manufacturers had switched to the latex glue and the application was different
than high VOC glues. To make it work a consistant and complete coating was
needed on both sides. It had a long tack time which meant it was easy to
saturate the fabic even if it was foam backed.Seems the factory workers were
applying it just as they would the HVOC glue which was not enough. Result,
headliners fell down.

Unfortunately, I was the first guy to get a call if there was a headliner problem.
After a time I just said no more. Believe me it wasn't a long time either. I think a
few got sent back to the factory. Actually think I priced a warranty job once and
the warranty rep called me and said I was too high. Said he had a guy that said it
could be done in much less time. I asked him why was he talking to me then, send
him up. Relunctantly he authorized me to do it.

Wonder what happened to his guy?

So don't be surprised if you get a lot of warranty requests if this goes full bore!

ahkahn

Yes, our government at work.

Trivia:  Legally speaking, a trimmer/upholsterer can not buy or use glue in Southern California.  What do they do?  They go over the border into AZ or NV and buy their glue. 

-Andrew

TheHogRing

Quote from: ahkahn on February 01, 2012, 06:11:01 am

Trivia:  Legally speaking, a trimmer/upholsterer can not buy or use glue in Southern California.  What do they do?  They go over the border into AZ or NV and buy their glue. 

Can they face any legal penalties for that?

byhammerandhand

Bootleg glue, then?

Quote from: ahkahn on February 01, 2012, 06:11:01 am
Yes, our government at work.

-Andrew
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

ahkahn

Yes, they are bootlegging glue.  And yes, they can get into serious trouble for using/having it in Southern California.

-Andrew