Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 03, 2024, 02:36:02 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Estimating fabric

Started by bobbin, January 22, 2012, 01:56:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Henry

I've had good success using this chart;

QuotePatterned fabric additional yardage estimate chart
To use this chart, first add the fabric's vertical and horizontal repeats together (for example, a 10" vertical repeat plus its 17" horizontal repeat gives a 27" total). Then find the appropriate entry on the chart, and increase the yardage estimate by the percentage indicated.

For example: The yardage estimate is 8 yards of 54" wide fabric to cover a chair and the pattern on the fabric repeats horizontally every 17" and vertically every 10". Add up the repeats (17" + 10" = 27") and find the appropriate entry - 20% in this example. Twenty percent more fabric is needed to cover the chair while matching the pattern at the seams: 8 yards plus an extra 20 % is 9.6 yards.

Fabric Width    Plain Fabric    3" - 14" Repeat    15"-19" Repeat    20"-27" Repeat    28"-36" Repeat    37"-45" Repeat    46"-54" Repeat
54"    0%    10%    15%    20%    25%    30%    35%
50"-52"    10%    20%    25%    30%    35%    40%    45%

Railroaded fabric/pattern
Railroading refers to the direction of the pattern: up the roll or across the roll. Railroaded fabric is preferred for upholstering larger pieces of furniture without having to include seams (along the back of a couch for example).

Railroaded fabric - across the roll    Non-railroaded fabric - up the roll
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

bobbin

Thanks Darren!  I've copied that  and have tucked into the front pocket of my laptop's carrying case.  I will test it out and see if it helps me out with estimating goods.