Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 26, 2024, 02:16:58 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

What you used to do for a living??

Started by RocketmanMH1, January 19, 2012, 08:07:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

Quote from: Mike on January 21, 2012, 07:33:02 pm
Interesting Kody I never thought of a hurricane bringing work to upholstery roofers builder boat canvas. Ya I gueese my couch would be last kn my list

We got to see first hand what a storm serge can do. A designer we worked for had a house right on the beach. We looked at it from the road and it didn't look bad except the front door missing. We walked around to the beach side and that whole side of the house was missing. The inside was gutted.

People were bringing us pieces that looked like they dragged them out of the bay. Covered in "pluff" mud. We were so busy we could pick and choose. If you don't know what pluff mud is check this out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_vtWQnBRak
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

stitcher_guy

I have BA in Journalism, mainly because I hated to do math (but it explains why I write so much in my responses). I worked for 5 years in community newspapers, covering city council meetings, public issues, murders and trials, all the stuff you see in the newspaper on a daily basis. Kind of got tired of going after people every day, so started working for an "independent free weekly" paper in our state capital of Springfield. BIG mistake. I didn't wear tiedye and sandals, and rather than NPR on my office radio, I was listening to Rush Limbaugh. So we parted ways. After which I spent a few months in a wood shop building custom cabintry for an area housing developer.

I discovered why my dad (a retired carpenter) loved building things. Instead of just putting word to paper, I was making things that would last and be useful to someone. But, I also had a mortgage, wife and a college degree that was getting dusty. So along came magazine editing.

I worked for 5 years editing/writing/designing several magazines/marketing tools/kids newspaper for a state Alcohol and Other Drug Prevention Agency. Money was good and they took a LOAD of holidays and had potlucks at the drop of a hat, but I also hated wearing a tie and being in an office. While everyone else was talking about their shopping or health club membership, I was always immersed in my first love of cars. I'd go into meetings with grease-stained fingers and stubby fingernails.

Thank goodness for a new, totally NUTS executive director who caused me to chuck it all and walk out. A short stint at a state Association doing pretty much the same thing thankfully ended when the director was embezzling money and got me ousted in the process (no, I wasn't involved. He just needed to clean house).

Then the fun started. Two weeks sitting around and I answered an ad in our paper for "local British auto restoration shop needing mechanic. Apprentice considered." I was the only applicant with a resume and dress shoes when I went for the interview. I even called the boss and told him I'd gladly work for half my (association salary) pay to get the job. The first day, he pulled down a 1953 MG TD that was a national concourse show winner and told me to tear apart the front end. Holy COW I was hooked, and decided I'd never stray away from playing with cars again.

During the two years doing building Jags, MGs and whatnot (got a 1936 Riley Saloon running on it's own power before I left) there was an upholsterer renting space in the building. Eventually he couldn't pay the rent and was supposed to be doing work for the boss. One day, he just walked out. Took his sewing machine and tools, said he was retired, and left. Everything sat idle for a couple months with three cars up in the shop needing to be finished.

Long story short, PRO Stitch was created to finish the cars, and I've never looked back going on 11 years in the business. Love the sewing and love the cars each and every day.