Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 08:20:01 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

I Need Some Valium :)

Started by Mojo, January 19, 2012, 04:21:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

My Grandmother used to sew scraps together just to make sacks to store other scraps in. Sometimes it took her half a day. She then spent the other half telling customers that she hadn't finished their work because she was too far behind. She never threw anything away. And she never got much work done. I do more work in a day than she did in a week.

They say "Time is money". I also believe that "Space is time".
Hence, ergo "Space is money".
If it's taking up space, it's taking up time. And if it's taking up time, it's costing you money.
I throw things away purely as a form of recreation.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

And I have little doubt there are many happy recipients of your shop cleansing!

I like the, "space is money" corollary, Sofa..  I will remember that one for a good time to come. 

gene

January 20, 2012, 07:47:43 pm #17 Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 07:53:04 pm by gene
I remember byhammerandhand's post where he said he has a can labeled something like "Pieces of thread too short to save." LOL

Sofadoc: If I have nothing, and my nothing is not taking up space. And my space is time. And then time is money. Do I make money by having time with nothing to do and nothing to do nothing with?

I throw things away purely to see if I can hit the cat with it.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

fingers

If gravity can distort space/time and a shop has a a large surplus of fabric/wood which is very dense will worm holes and black holes appear? If that is the case we can travel back in time via the worm hole and make up for any lost space. My accumulation is therefore a astrophysics experiment. In your face Stephen Hawkins!

Mojo

As an update. I finished my cleaning, sorting and re-arranging. I have my new fabric rack filled ( oh boy is that awesome ) and my closet rearranged. I started into this project and my OCD kicked in. I have to have everything arranged just right. Everything has to have a place. Now it does, my OCD is now satisfied and even the cat is happy. :)

I collected two large bags of short stuff and sent it to school for the kids in art class. If you do have scraps or can save your scraps please consider collecting and then dropping them off at your local high school. The budgets for Art departments at schools have been cut big time and can use these things for their 3-d art projects. Or maybe drop them off at a place that works with handicapped adults.

I will start a new thread and post some pictures of my new fabric racks once I get the pic's taken. Maybe someone would like to adapt this system for themselves.

Chris

Joys Shop

My 92 yo mother is a hoarder, and My sister is a hoarder
Believe me, their houses look like it

I, on the other hand, am not a hoarder---in my house that is
but
My shop is a different story  ::)
If it, maybe, can be used sometime in the future, I save it

I must say, I do usually use the things I save.  It is a revolving inventory

Mostly I make tuffets with the scraps
People are always asking me to donate things to fundraisers.  I came up with the tuffets for these donations

They seem to love them.  They get pretty good money for them at silent auctions

I also keep my eyes out for furniture at second hand stores
If I find a good one (small and cheap), I'll recover it with something I have at the shop and donate that also

I never was good at designing throw pillows (only can copy someone else's idea)   So I don't make those

Darren Henry

January 21, 2012, 10:40:58 am #21 Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 08:57:34 am by Darren Henry
The worst I've seen was the old upper maker I worked with. Felix was a journeyman during and after the war in Poland. He would actually chastise us for leaving a piece of leather the size of your palm on the floor. He was off work briefly with kidney stones and Master had me clean out under his easel.  [3X2footX4inch thick butchers block tipped up on a dresser kinda thing]  :o OMG ; he had bags of different coloured leather the size of a match book.there are no parts of a shoe that small  ::) and it would take three generations to use all that up as patches and such.I don't speak Polish;but I gather from his conversation with Master [spoke 7 languages fluently and a total of 13] when he got back he was not happy.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!