Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 03:33:39 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Sew Foam Without Glue......

Started by RocketmanMH1, January 23, 2012, 11:17:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RocketmanMH1

OK I  need desperately for some one to give me the skinny on sewing the panels to sew foam without glue. I just don't like my results (too much tension maybe?)

Mike

JuneC

I cut the foam oversized, sew about 1/8" in from the edge, then trim the foam to size.  Where the vinyl will bend - like on the inside of a curve, I bend the two layers in that direction while sewing.  That ensures that the foam isn't too small to make the bend without wrinkling the vinyl.  For larger pieces (one I have on the machine right now is 125" long by 14" wide ) I staple right along the edges to hold everything together till I can get it sewn.  Once stitched, trim the excess.  This makes final assembly of the pieces easier as it compresses the foam for sewing.  Just my method.  I'm sure others will say it takes too long to do it that way. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Peppy

That's how we do it June. Actually we rarely use sew foam unless we have to.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

stitcher_guy

Like June said. It's much easier to keep the panel from twisting or buckling if you aren't trying to keep it on the edge of the foam. Use an oversized piece of foam. I mainly edge sew with leather pieces.