Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 05:23:28 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Custom car cover,roadster

Started by Hell Bat, December 23, 2011, 12:09:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hell Bat

making custom waterproof car cover? of what?tobe really waterproof not just resistent.
What's the best fabric or other stuff to use to do this?. Custom fitted Cover for 1923 T roadster.
Needs to be waterproof so if it rains at outdoor show,can cover it and keep inside dry,but pack/fold up and hide behind seat? Only plan on covering cowl/windshiald and cockpit,not motor.???
Thanks ;D

JuneC

Never did a car cover, but I've built classic boat covers from Odyssey SofTouch.  It's waterproof with a fuzzy lining.  You'd need to do something to the seams to make them waterproof. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

stitcher_guy

Check with mike at Miami Corp, or Andrew at DLT. You can get triple layer protection waterproof car cover material (the same stuff used by the car cover manufacturers). I'd run some seam tape between panels as I'm sewing to seal up needle holes and further protect what's underneath.

Hell Bat

ok,i'll look into that stuff,sounds good,thanks,merry christmas ;D

Bob T

The fuzzy lining is key.  I had a friend who bought a cheap non-fuzzy lined car cover for his Porsche.  I lived in Phoenix then.  Sand storm came, sand got under cover, lots of wind and the light weight cover flapped mercilously, wore the paint clean off in places.

OddBall13

sounds like you want more of a tonneau cover something like this        http://www.convertibletop.com/products/2001-2005-miata-tonneau-cover-cloth.html    I repaired on for a friend and it seemed to be just heavy vinyl use seam tape or hh-66 on seams
  Hope this helps

Hell Bat

Great ideas, 8) thanks ;D
He wishs not to have any snaps ect. around cockpit rim,so that why I'm calling it a cover vs tonneau,just something waterproof to add at a outdoor show if rain comes in,yet can fold up small enough to go behind seat[very smallpace].
Too this end was fig on snaps or hooks upunder body were they don't show at all to hold it inplace from wind with rain,this is south Florida

Mike

I like outdid trio looks like any acrylic can as with a soft flannel like liner breathable and waterproof   I don't to cars but I would look at this miamr mike  can give you info on this also.