Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 06:19:46 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Anyone know how to turn (or replace) pin thread guide on top of machine?

Started by JuneC, January 03, 2012, 02:55:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JuneC

On my backup machine (Singer 111W155), the thread guide pin on top of the machine - the one with two holes at 90 degrees to each other - has deep grooves from many years of monofilament use.  I'd like to replace the pin or at least turn it 180 degrees, but can't see how to get it out or turned.  Looking at replacement parts, some appear to be just push in, others threaded.  I have no idea which this might be.  I'd like to avoid using a torch to heat it up since that will definitely blister the paint, and maybe damage some parts, but a pair of pliers just ain't budging it.  What I'd like to NOT do is break it off in the hole.  I don't see a set screw anywhere around there.  Any ideas? 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Spool pin is screw in, you get them from anybody who sells industrial sewing machine parts.  To turn, I like to stick a needle in the hole, and get an andjustable wrench to turn it.  Use eye protection as needle could break and use the shank of possible.

Mike

Good info I thought it may be threaded in June you've used allot  of tenara.
I've had the tention disk post wear out and the guides on thebneedle. Ut not the that  yet.

JuneC

Thanks, Greg.  I'll give it a try with a fat needle through the hole and some WD40 around the base.  Hopefully it'll budge.

Mike, it wasn't my thread damage.  The furniture upholsterer I bought it from had used mono almost exclusively and it cut every guide in the thread path.  I'll be replacing all parts - I already did the tension assembly about a year ago, but never got the rest of it.  The pin on top has been catching my V92 and causing me problems recently.  The 3-hole guide is cut up too.  It's a backup machine, but I like to keep it set up so I can switch off when I'm doing jobs that require multiple setups (different thread or thread color, different feet, different tension, etc.)  Saves having to break out the old screwdriver and change feet on my main machine. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields