Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 12, 2024, 06:33:18 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Bare bones furniture-where to even begin??

Started by Ageorge, December 08, 2011, 08:18:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ageorge

Ok..so as I've mentioned in previous posts I purchased an upholstery shop in July with no previous experience. We had about a month with the previous owner and have since only upholstered furniture that already had the fabric, foam, etc on it so  I had something to go on when doing the furniture. If I had to replace anything, I at least had a pattern of something to go off of. I recently had a customer send pics of some furniture that has nothing on it. I'm so new at this I have no idea to where to even start! I'm going to ask for help, but any suggestions?? Pictures are below.
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z348/heskett6/rocker.jpg
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z348/heskett6/setee.jpg
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z348/heskett6/setee1.jpg
I'm backed up until about at least February so I have awhile to get some info.

kodydog

This will be a good piece to learn patterning on. Shouldn't be too hard. You'll need to measure the pieces to estimate how much foam you'll need. You'll also need to see if the frames are tight. If they need joint work that will be extra.

Looks like the springs will need to be retied. I'd do 8-way. That space between the bottom back rail and seat rail is small but take your time, you'll get it done.

I'd say tight seat (no cushions) using 3' foam, and that's something you'll need to discuss with the owner. After you get it tied have them come in and try different foams. Think custom.

After you web and burlap the back and arms maybe 2" foam. There is only one post where the arm meets the back. Gonna need to do something there so there is not a gap when you pull the arm and back fabric through.

Check out Mikes wing chair video's in the "green room" section of the forum. Tons of info there.

Looks like some neat old pieces. You'll have fun. Let us know what else you need to figure out.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Joys Shop

Don't forget to put a fox roll on the front edge of the seat

ibstitchen

This will be a nice project!  You can do it! Take your time think it through, see it in you mind and go for it. If you get stumped get back on here with photo's and I know we can help walk you through it.

MinUph

These are not run of the mill pieces. The frame design is not common and will take some hard cuts for the seat and backs. If you look at the bottom back rail these spacers are the issue. Cuts will need to be made around each of them so the fabric will go through the rail and tack on top of the seat rail. Very doable but take your time. As stated glue up any loose frame members, retie the springs with a crown in the seat. The edge springs should be at or just above the back rail and the center to be slightly higher (crowned) Cover this with burlap, put a small edge roll on the front rail maybe 1/2". If you can get some rubberized hair pad 1" thick I would use this on top of the burlap, then an inch and a half of firm or medium firm foam, a layer of cotton and that's it. If you can't find hair pad use something equivalent. I like to have the foam skin handy as this works also. That is the edge of a bun of foam (skin). In the end you don't want to feel the springs in the filling but you do want it as thinly filled as possible.
  On the Love Seat. The seat gets the same treatment but keep the center section of the seat flat. Crown the front but keep the center area flat. On the chair its OK to have the whole thing crowned.
  As for the backs and side areas these would be fitted and be one piece. Picture where the rail is on the corner and this is where the seam would run. So... Web the back top to bottom. not too tight but snug, burlap, 1 1/2" foam and a layer of cotton but before you put the cotton on fit the fabric for the inside back and side sections. If it helps run a twine from top to bottom where the rail is and use it as a guide to fit the patterns. Tack the IB at the center top and bottom mark one side and then fold and cut both sides. This will make it (whats the word) balanced? Same on the side pieces fit one and copy the opposite one. Check the patterns and don't forget the seam allowance. You can put a welt in these seams or not. The area that will give you the most trouble is under the wood arms. I don't see a tack rail there. If there isn't one leave plenty of fabric to turn under it looks like around 6-8" of no tack rail. But that's OK if its the case just pull this area front to back tight and turn under enough fabric so it will not show. Finish the edges with gimp or double welt. I would opt for gimp.
  Have fun and ask questions.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website