Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 19, 2024, 01:17:43 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

VW Beetle headliner installation time

Started by Rich, December 07, 2011, 06:13:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich

Does anyone have an installation time for a 70's (could be 80"s) VW Beetle? This is the sedan and the customer has the headliner with the B pillar post trim as well as the vinyl that goes under the 1/4 glass and rear glass. I'm thinking 5 hours + or - but having not done one of these in many years I'd like to hear from someone who's done them more recently.
Thanks,
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

baileyuph

December 07, 2011, 07:02:10 pm #1 Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 07:05:00 pm by DB
Five or six or more hours, the post and window areas takes significant time plus pulling all the glass without breaking it is time consuming.

Doyle

ncydmn

It can be done in 5 hours no problem since you have had experience in the past, however you are cutting your profit way to tight.  I would bid it for 8 hours.  Remember the customer is supplying there own liner so your working for straight labor.  Front, rear and quarter glass must be removed and replaced.  The glass shops around me get 20 to 30 per window to R&R them.  I do them myself and still charge the same rate.  This is on top of the install time.  Rear seats and panels must be removed and replaced also.  Panels under rear seat and seat belts must be removed and replaced.   Visors, mirror and those crappy brittle side dome lights that snap in.  Just jogging your memory bank.  Is it all coming back now?  lol

Remember to check the window gaskets for flexibility.  New ones are not very expensive and are well worth the cost if the old ones are dry and brittle.  Also check to see if the window gaskets have the chrome strip in them.  The new reproductions  don't fit well and can be time consuming to replace.  All these "upsales" would be extra of course.  With your customer purchasing his own materials I am sure they are looking for the most cost effective install and will probably guarantee the rubber is good.  Don't believe it!! 

Remember this,  If you go to the dentist for just a teeth cleaning and check up you will be lucky to get by for $200 and maybe 20 minutes in the chair.  I would bet that  the dentist can't install that liner,  just like you can't clean your own teeth.  So what is your education worth?  Don't under sell your ability.   Roy.

baileyuph

Rich,

We don't do many of these cars lately, not many on the road.  But, the best way I got around the glass issue is replace the rubber.  Cut the old rubber and remove to avoid glass breakage, then go back in with new rubber.  The headliner is probably 50 percent of the cars interior.  I believe I would charge for 8 to 10 labor because of the amount of stuff that has to come out.

What Roy said about the molding in the glass rubber is true, I always installed the molding in the rubber first then to the glass. 

These are just some comments that I remembered.  The newer beetle, somewhere around 73, the front windshield was curved.  Pulling that windshield always made me nervous. 

Let us know if you do the job.

Doyle

Rich

One thing you both made a point of was that glass issue and I didn't even mention that all of the glass is already out (it's in a body shop). They will be putting it back in as well (I don't want that headache anyway). I've already told the body shop owner to get new plastic pcs. as they WILL break. So, 6-7 hours?
Thanks,
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!