Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 21, 2024, 01:03:17 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

slip covers

Started by gene, December 07, 2011, 05:31:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

I finished a slipcover today. It was one of the best I've done. The fabric was perfect for this chair. It was a wing style club chair with many curvilinear sections. My slipcover fit like a glove.

A few hours after the guy picked up the chair, I realized I forgot to take a picture!!!!!!!!

For those who do slipcovers, here's a good web site.

http://slipcovernetwork.org/

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

baileyuph

It comes through how pleased you are of the job.  Good feeling to say the least.  I know it looks nice, would like to see it. 

I suppose you take the piece to the shop to fit?  That is my preferred way. 

Doyle

Joys Shop

Call the customer up and tell them that you forgot to take a picture for your records
Then go there and get one

after that

post it for us :D

bobbin

Yeah, what they said.  Fun link, too. 

bobbin

Well Gene, this was indeed a timely post!  Need some thoughts from those of you who make slipcovers.  A month+ ago I measured a slipcover job and submitted an estimate for fabric and labor.  I included my usual fabric haunts and telephone numbers, too.  I didn't hear anything and pretty much figured she'd decided against the job.  She called last night!

The job involves a heavy sleeper sofa, a large, boxy armchair, and large ottoman.  The customer is older and moving the pcs. is not an option, so I will have to pin fit on premises.  The last time I made a slip. with the piece in situ I actually made a pattern from a flimsy plastic painter's dropcloth.  It worked out well, but I'd like to sidestep that this time. 

Questions:
1.)   Do you precut the fabric "blanks" for the individual pcs. in your workrooms, labelling them, and then bring the pcs. to the job site? or do you simply cut the goods as needed on site?  I have the basic measurements for the pcs. in my estimate, so I could cut them before arriving at her home.
2.)  Do you return to "tweak" the fit if you are dissatisfied with it upon initial installation?  Naturally, I would prefer not to do that but I'm fussy enough that snug, proper fit means a lot to me.  And she doesn't live far away, on my "way home" from my straight job, as a matter of fact. 

Thoughts, "pointers", general advice?

gene

December 10, 2011, 06:45:16 am #5 Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 07:06:04 am by gene
To answer both Doyle's and Bobbins' questions, I make my slipcovers in my studio.

(It's my shop but I'm trying to call it a studio because studios charge more for their services than shops due.)

There are many styles of slip covers. I mostly make what I call "Custom Fit Slip Covers". They do fit like a glove. The best compliment I ever got was when I delivered a very straight lined sofa with a slipcover on it and the homeowner began to complain, loudly, that she wanted a slip cover and not reupholstered.

I start by making continuous welt cord. Here's the youtube link but I had bought this lady's videos. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTWbRPv9HZo

On her videos she cuts or literally  tears the fabric for each panel, or piece of the slipcover first, at the customers' home. I cut my pieces as I go along.

I would never want to pre cut the pieces at my studio.

If you are not going to take your sewing machine to the customers' house, you can cut the fabric as you go, and pin the pieces along the stitch line so when you get back to your studio you will know exactly where to sew. Also notch the fabric pieces in case something comes unpinned.

I also 'stitch in the ditch', which really helps with lining up strips and patterns because I do not make the slipcover inside out as most folks do.

Making a slipcover in someone's home with the cut and pin method where I will be sewing back at my studio, I would pin the slipcover inside out.

Bobbin, I would cut the fabric on site after measuring each panel, or piece. I would take a lot of pins and pin along the stitch line. You can also use chalk to help out. Cut and pin, cut and pin.

If you've made patterns with drop cloths, just use the fabric instead of the drop cloth. It's the same difference, but you have less work to do when you get back to your studio.

Don't forget your tuck allowances.

I would bet that you will do a great job the first time and have no need to "tweak" anything.

Good luck.

Gene

bobbin

I just picked up the fabrics.  There is a lovely floral toile in "china" blue for the sleeper, and a handsome solid blue for the chair and ottoman.  It's going to be a handsome combination when completed.  I am going to look carefully at the repeat this afternoon and closely watch the thoughtfully linked video.  Thank you very much, Gene.  (I have saved the link you provided, too! what a "score" for the PC challenged).

I prefer to work in my own shop, where distractions are minimal, and I don't have an "audience".  But I also see the benefit of mastering the on-site pin and fit... .  Eliminating the necessity of moving furniture (and the loss of its use to its owner) while still delivering a quality product is a huge benefit.  The key to success with such an enterprise is organization and a methodical approach to the work required.  Time is money, afterall!

I hope you will be able to get a picture of the slipcover that pleased you so.  I really want to see it since you do such nice work.   

(PS:  if you really want to cultivate an "image" call your "shop" your "atalier", synonymous with the haute couture of the French fashion designers.  I hope Tapisssier will not take offense.)

gene

I met with a good customer today. She bought 2 chairs from IKEA. They are small straight back type chairs that you have to assemble at home. They do have wood dowels.

The chairs only have foam on them. She bought slipcovers separate. The chairs do not come upholstered.

She does not like the slipcover fabric so I am going to make new slipcovers for her. My slipcovers are more expensive than the chairs.

What I appreciate about this customer, is that she knows what she bought. She likes the style and the price for where she wants to use them in her home. She knows that for $50.00 she got a good $50.00 chair. She is not trying to delude herself into thinking it is a Hendradon.

gene