Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 12, 2024, 06:26:50 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Antique velvets

Started by sofadoc, November 21, 2011, 03:16:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

I'm talking the velvets with the high bruisable nap. The kind you see commonly on antiques. All my sample books have gravitated to chenilles, or micro-suedes. I do have a few cotton velvets, but it isn't what my customer is looking for.
Anybody know a supplier? 
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

November 21, 2011, 05:28:55 pm #1 Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 05:38:29 pm by kodydog
Quote from: sofadoc on November 21, 2011, 03:16:15 pm
I do have a few cotton velvets, but it isn't what my customer is looking for.
Anybody know a supplier?  

When you say it's not what shes looking for do you mean shes not looking for cotton or she can't find the right color?

Google Fabric Guru. They deal in short ends, but a lot of there "short ends" are 20 yards or more. And they will send you samples. They have a good variety of cotton and cotton blend velvets.  

I think you said you carry Scott Fabrics and of course Greenhouse Fabrics.

Another company we deal with is Derby Fabrics out of Louisville, Kentucky. (502) 637-1466. One book we have is a cotton / polyester blend but they may also carry 100% cotton.

Good luck.

Just found Derbys toll free # 1-800-626-3500
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on November 21, 2011, 05:28:55 pm
When you say it's not what shes looking for do you mean shes not looking for cotton or she can't find the right color?

I'm typing THIS sentence last, to show that my dialog box is no longer jumping (it WAS jumping on the bottom sentence).

What I mean is, the cotton velvets that I have samples for are all "low nap" (flat like suedes).
I noticed that you automatically assumed that the customer is a woman (you're right!).

I have an account with Scott Fabrics, but they haven't called on me, or updated their sample books in years. I do carry Greenhouse, Leon's, and Charlotte among others. I can't seem to find anything but chenilles and suedes.

The kind I'm looking for is the kind that when you rub against the nap, it's like rubbing a cat's fur backwards.

Now it's jumping again.

Joys Shop

Are you talking about a mohair velvet?

You'll have to look for someone who sells that kind

MinUph

If she is looking for "Antique Velvet" it is not cotton. Probably rayon, and Antique Velvet has subtle lines running down the nap. It doesn't look like a cotton velvet that is very plane in color.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Quote from: Joys Shop on November 21, 2011, 06:48:58 pm
Are you talking about a mohair velvet?

No, I guess the cat's fur was a bad analogy. Sorry.
I'm talking about a nap that bruises easily, but not as high a nap as mohair.
But also not as flat as a suede.

sofadoc

Quote from: MinUph on November 21, 2011, 07:14:11 pm
Antique Velvet has subtle lines running down the nap. It doesn't look like a cotton velvet that is very plane in color.

Exactly Paul. I'm looking for some with the subtle lines.
All my books are either cotton velvets, chenilles, or suedes.

alge

Doc, I'm doing some antique chairs in a linen velvet at the moment from Northcroft fabrics you could try them as they do a few velvets. Henley is plain and nice.

http://www.northcroftfabrics.co.uk/curtain-fabrics-furnishing-fabrics/

Failing that I have just used mulberry Rossini velvet on a job and that is just like the cat fur feel you mentioned. The pile is really thick but looks a million dollars when on.

http://www.tangletree-interiors.co.uk/fabric/mulberry/heirloom-velvets/rossini-velvet/

I hope that helps sorry if they are too over budget these kinds of fabric dont come cheap.

Alge

kodydog

Quote from: alge on November 22, 2011, 05:51:57 am

http://www.tangletree-interiors.co.uk/fabric/mulberry/heirloom-velvets/rossini-velvet/

I hope that helps sorry if they are too over budget these kinds of fabric dont come cheap.

Alge

Thats a beautiful fabric Alge. I looked at the contents; 70% viscose, 24% cotton, 6%polyester.
Had to look viscose up. Third time this week I had to look something up.

Viscose is a viscous organic liquid[1] used to make rayon and cellophane. Viscose is becoming synonymous with rayon, a soft material commonly used in shirts, shorts, coats, jackets, and other outer wear.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

bobbin

Rayon is probably my favorite fabric for a pretty blouse.  It has great hand with a soft drape and it works up beautifully.  It takes dye well and the range of prints is great.  It's easy to care for, presses nicely, and lasts/wears well.  And it's getting increasingly difficult to find!  I have always preferred it to silk.  Only a really nice cotton comes close to its versatility in clothing. 

Those velvets you linked, Alge, are really top drawer.  Just beautiful!  Wow. 

gene

You post yesterday caught me by surprise. I unrolled a bolt of fabric yesterday that sounds like what you are talking about. I hadn't looked at the mfg.

It is from Kasmir.

It's a green velvet with 'lines' running down the railroad (salvage edge to salvage edge). The vertical has a very definite nap.  The fabric is made to run railroaded.

I had to call the designer and tell her that there were marks on the fabric from where they folded the very end of the fabric and then rolled it up on the paper tube. That fold made marks throughout the fabric. Also, there were marks where the nap was not fully sewn. And, they shorted the fabric length.

The only other thing Kasmir could have done wrong was to send the wrong color.

Good luck.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!