Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 03:11:15 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Hello! Ever heard of this machine? I need a manual.

Started by brownie2, November 14, 2011, 10:05:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

brownie2

Hello all!  My first post.
I started to recover the seats in my  wifes 77' MGB that I've restored over the last three years.  I soon realized that the old Kenmore wasn't the right tool.  I sat the seat project aside partly from frustration and with the hope that I may find a more suitable machine one day.
Well, I found a machine!  Actually my wife did, one of her facebook friends posted they were selling her dads old machines.  Anyhow,  after trying it out and some Internet research I couldn't pass it up.  It is a "Sewmaster" it has a label from pleatmaster Corp, maxant master Inc, Oceanside, NY model JUL 5?3.  I believe this machine may be a Juki 563 copy.  They appear to be identical.  Anyone have any info?
I want to get a manual.  I tried a PDF of the Juki 563 and the pictures are terrible.  If I order a photo copy manual will it be any better?  Sources?
The machine was terribly filthy with forty, I was told, years of oil stains.  This guy obviously oiled it really well.  He must have smoked while he worked also.  It still smells of cigarettes!  I've been using Q-Tips and toothpicks and a little secret solvent to clean it up.  It reminds me of that MGB engine bay!
What are the little brass looking plugs with a spring loaded ball bearing located on the bed for? Oil?
I'm sure I'll have some more questions like does anyone put a backing strip on French seams to make the seam stronger ans how do you go about it.  Anyhow,  thanks in advance for the help! I'm anxious  to get started sewing.  Humm,  what will I sew after those seats.

Mojo

Greg from Keystone has a good Juki 563 manual he can e-mail to you if you send him a PM and request one. Gregs is MUCH better then the one you have. Much more clearer.

In regards to your machine, I myself have never heard of it but if it is a copy of a Juki then hopefully it will sew like one. I own a 563 and it sews very well. One word of advice, whenever starting a stitch run be sure you hold and slightly pull the threads. Top loaded bobbin machines have a tendency to wind up the thread and jam the hook.

If you have never sewed before then I highly suggest you get to Joann fabrics or Wal Mart and buy some cheap fabric to learn to sew on before tackling the interior of the car. You have a steep learning curve ahead of you and it is always better to ruin cheap, worthless fabric versus good and expensive fabric.

Welcome to the forum BTW. :)

Chris

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

gene

Is the 77 MGB the one with the wooden floor? I remember a friend had a Bug Eye and a local rock station back in the 70's had a bull frog as it's logo. This guy kept trying to get the radio station to paint his MGB bug eye like a frog and then use it for their mascot.

With all the Kia's and Smartcars on the road now you are no longer the smallest thing out there.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

brownie2

Thanks Greg!
Gene,  I believe the "Bug Eyes" were a Sprite.  The older MG cars like TD's and TF's I believe had wood floors.  Lots of wood actually.  Check out MG experience forums or you tube for all the MG info you'll ever need.
I've told folks at work about my new to me machine and have already been asked about doing some work.  I laughed it off at first but now I'm thinking I may try a little on the side.  It would beat cutting grass!  I've ordered vinyl from Miami and Perfect fit before.  I need to find a place to get good  fabrics.  Preferably in N Georgia or western NC so I could pick it up.  Samples would be nice too.

fragged8

hiya

I guess the Bug Eye was the Sprite,  we call them a Frog Eye over here so the advertising would have tied in nicely.
if he had painted it green the only colour would have had to been British Racing Green..

A friend of mine has a very tidy
restored Frog Eye Sprite and my father in law has an old MG Roadster.

I have a mini cooper in the garage :-) more smiles per mile than
any other car :-)