Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 29, 2024, 03:33:53 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Newbie Question

Started by kpohorylo, November 10, 2011, 10:01:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kpohorylo

So glad I found this board! My business is primarily fitness equipment padding. I am thinking of branching out to offer wall and column padding as well. Does anyone have experience with this, specifically column padding? I am having a hard time with fire code regulations and which ones I need to comply with. Also, I haven't seen much out there for column padding, and I would like to hear any ideas. My business is located in VA.

Mojo

Interesting. I would assume anything that is FAA certified would meet fire code standards but then I am not up on that. We do have a couple aviation experts who are good with fire rated fabrics.

It is ironic that you posted about the work you do. I just got an order in to replace all of the vinyl and padding for a gym today. I get the weirdest jobs. :)

Welcome to the forum BTW.

Chris

Mike8560

November 10, 2011, 04:26:33 pm #2 Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 04:27:08 pm by Mike8560
Welcome

So
chris did you take the job?

Mojo

Yes I did Mike.

I seem to always get these weird jobs. I always get worried when the first words from a customers mouth is

" Do you think you could ? ".

I think I am getting to be like Russ's moto. " If it can fit under the foot of my machine I will sew it "....lol

Chris

JuneC

Chris, maybe Miami Mike or kpohorylo could recommend a good contract vinyl with antimicrobial properties.  I recall way back when I was starting and looking for jobs, thinking about pursuing local gyms for this type of work.  Then one of the guys on here mentioned how nasty redoing restaurant booths was.  Got me to thinking about the sweat and nastiness that gets in the seams of gym equipment and I decided I didn't want to have to spend hours with latex gloves on doing the teardown.  Good luck with the job and take pics! 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

kpohorylo

Yes, June, not to mention the GUM under the pads! Will not touch restaurant booths, the profit margins just are not worth it for me. Most of the gym pads we do are new product, just a few recovers here and there. Chris- would love to see pics of your project. I have done two wall pad installs thus far, I used a vinyl from TMI vinyl solutions, more cost effective then Naugahyde or Boltaflex. The TMI vinyl has the right properties for this type of work. Also, I used a french cleat system to hang, way cheaper then z-clips. Thanks for the tips and welcomes!

kodydog

November 11, 2011, 10:09:24 am #6 Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 10:10:07 am by kodydog
Hi Kpohorylo and welcome to the forum.

I can't say I've ever upholstered a wall before but can see where that would be good to have in a fitness room.
A guy I used to work for said he used to make padded squares and attach them to the wall with clips.

When you say columns do you mean like a column to support a roof? Or is a column a part of the exercise equipment? If its the first kind I'm thinking a wrap attached with Velcro.

Can't help you with the fire codes, every state is different. But it seams to me if it can be used in furniture why not on walls?
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

ahkahn

You need to look at the flame specs of the vinyl used.  90%+ of vinyls meet a minimum of CAL 117 and MVSS 302. 

FAA/FAR is the most stringent of all flame specs.  If the vinyl/material passes that, it will pass everything else. 

Flame specs in order of stringency:

MVSS 302
CAL 117
Boston Fire Code
Port Authority NY/NJ
FAR

We've had many people wrap columns.  Most wrap around and use velcro or J-hook's, and typically use between 1/2"-2" foam underneath.  The best job I've seen is when they used 1/2" sew foam underneath (it's firmer). 

I hope this helps!
-Andrew