Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 29, 2024, 09:21:49 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

I never thought these colors would come back

Started by sofadoc, November 10, 2011, 04:40:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

November 10, 2011, 04:40:49 pm Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 04:45:19 pm by sofadoc
But they have.

BTW: Yes, the customer wanted the fabric reversed on one of the pillows.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

groovy!

Nice job by the way.

Retro 50's has been popular for a while now. I guess 60's and 70's are next.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

gene

November 10, 2011, 06:40:35 pm #2 Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 06:49:41 pm by gene
insipid:
1. without distinctive, interesting, or stimulating qualities;

(More so for the two pieces on the end rather than the green arm chair in the middle.)

One thing that I like about working with Interior Designers is how they can pick out fabrics that 'make the furniture'. I finished 8 fully upholstered dining room chairs today, and wow, I would have posted a pic if I had one. The fabric seemed to be made for those style chairs.

I don't have any major issues with the colors sofadoc. (Insert yawn here.) I just don't see the colors going together with each other.

I think so much more could have been done with complimenting or even contrasting colors. For example, and this may be what the owner tried to do, take any two colors from the armless chair fabric and put one color on the bench sofa and the other color on the arm chair and you wouldn't even notice that the furniture legs are all different colors. Nor would you notice the antennae of the two giant ants about to crawl up the wall in the background.

Sofadoc: it appears on the green chair that you did not run double welt cord across the bottom front edge of the chair deck. If so, did you attach the front edge of the deck fabric at this point with chip strip, and then pull the fabric up, over, and back onto the deck?

Thanks for the pics. Great work with insipid fabric. And great work on the bench sofa!

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on November 10, 2011, 06:40:35 pm
Sofadoc: it appears on the green chair that you did not run double welt cord across the bottom front edge of the chair deck. If so, did you attach the front edge of the deck fabric at this point with chip strip, and then pull the fabric up, over, and back onto the deck?

The wood at the bottom is a separate piece that is screwed onto the main frame. The fabric is stapled between them. The customer has some type of trim (I haven't seen it) that she is going to glue there, so I didn't put a single cord there.
Very astute, Gene.

JuneC

Puleeeeezze tell me they aren't going to the same customer's house!  Each, as an accent piece in a room with complementary pieces (or contrasting) I could handle. If they are actually going into the same room I think I'd run away screaming.  GAG!   ???

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

sofadoc

Quote from: JuneC on November 10, 2011, 07:29:24 pm
Puleeeeezze tell me they aren't going to the same customer's house!

Yup, same house. Not sure about same rooms, though.
What's funny is, customers will come into my shop and see some hideous combo like that, and look at ME like it's my fault. Like it's my obligation to act as the "Fashion Police".
My policy is "If you LIKE it........I LOVE it!!"

alge

November 11, 2011, 01:39:02 am #6 Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 01:39:34 am by alge
Nice work, I love the look of the small chair on the right, that would sell like a hot cake here in the Uk. I'm not sure about the green chair though  :o

bobbin

I really like the lines of the sofa and you did a beautiful job on it.  Don't care for the fabric, but sometimes the detail of weave or subtle color variations can get lost in a photograph.  I do love oriental rugs though, and that color way is usually useful and easy to "weave" into a room with bold carpets.

I like the lines of the chair in the centre very much, too.  I confess I've never been wild about that sort of bright, "spring" green but the pattern is nice and in the right setting it could be just the right amount of color for an interesting focal point.  As Gene sagely pointed out, sometimes designers really "nail" a fabric with respect to a certain piece.

The chair to the far right leaves me cold.  I'm so "done" with that look I could scream.  The lines of the piece don't attract me (I don't like the top line of the back) and "insipid" is an apt description of the fabric.  The age old wisdom in the fashion industry is that things run in 30 yr. cycles.  Or, "there's nothing new under the sun". 

Beautiful work, Sofa., it's always a treat to see nice work.

Darren Henry

QuoteLike it's my obligation to act as the "Fashion Police".
My policy is "If you LIKE it........I LOVE it!!"

A buddy of mine has a paint store back in Kenora. He has a sign on the wall :"Husbands are not allowed to choose colours without their wive's written permission"
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

kodydog

Quote from: Darren Henry on November 14, 2011, 03:16:51 pm
A buddy of mine has a paint store back in Kenora. He has a sign on the wall :"Husbands are not allowed to choose colours without their wive's written permission"

That's funny Darren. My wife will spend 1/2 hour or longer helping the lady of the house choose a fabric, with me standing in the background waiting to grab the chair and throw it in the back of the van. I always cringe when she FIIIIINALLY chooses the fabric but then calls to the hubby in the next room, "honey what do you think".
The response is always the same, "its too busy".
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on November 14, 2011, 06:59:06 pm
I always cringe when she FIIIIINALLY chooses the fabric but then calls to the hubby in the next room, "honey what do you think".
The response is always the same, "its too busy".

When they come into my shop, the hubby doesn't want to say ANYTHING that will delay the selection process. The wife will ask "What do you think of this one?"
He responds "Yeah, that looks fine", while looking in the complete opposite direction (he's usually looking at my tools).
I guess it's different in the customer's home. They don't mind wasting YOUR time. When I have to do an in-home estimate, I give them a price, and leave my books, and tell them to "take their time" making their selection. Then I leave. I'd rather make an extra trip than sit there all day while they flip through the samples one page at a time. I STRONGLY encourage them to come into my shop, so they can see my entire selection.   Most of them do.
I've noticed that when the customer furnishes their own fabric, They usually tell me that they got so tired of looking, they finally just "settled" on one.