Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 29, 2024, 05:40:18 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Sattler Acrylics

Started by Mojo, November 09, 2011, 07:10:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

Miami Mike and I were talking yesterday about acrylic fabrics, Sunbrella, Recacril and now this new line oif fabric Miami Corp is carrying. It is made by Sattler and the fabric itself is a typical European weave. Mike was saying that the vast majority of awning manufacturers are now using this fabric exclusively.

I was just wondering if anyone has used this material ? If so, what are your thoughts on it ? IU suspect Suzi or Richard may have used it since it is manufactured across the pond.

Here is a link to their website: http://www.sattler-ag.com/sattler-web/en/products/888.htm

Chris

Grebo

Sorry Mojo I haven't used it yet, I am a recacril convert   ;D

Suzi

Mojo

November 09, 2011, 08:33:41 am #2 Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 08:40:36 am by Mojo
I am going to get a cut from Mike and see what it is like. He is waiting on the sample cards to come in.

He said it is an awesome cover material and great for Marine work since it is not water repellent but water proof. He said the weave and everything else is just like Recacril. It is a touch more expensive ( about 2 bucks per yard ).

Once I get some I will report back on it. I was just hoping one of you over yonder thar had used it before so I could get some input.

Thanks Suzi.

Chris

bobbin

I used Sattler acrylics for the awnings on my shop.  I thought the fabric patterns and the range of available colors blew Sunbrella and Dickson's offerings out of the water.  It's a style thing!

As for the hand of the goods, well frankly I didn't notice much difference between Sattler and Dickson or Sunbrella.  It was nice stuff, worked up well, and the finished product was good looking.  Great product and nice to see some variety in acrylics. 

Mike8560

I havnt seen it yet either. If you contack mike tell him
I'd like a  sample card please he didn't mention it when I talked to him about a week ago but he was busy with Shows  he said. 

Mojo

Mike: I will order a card for you and June both when I order mine.

Bobbin. That is great to hear. Mike said it is an awesome fabric. I am going to use it on my next RV awning if I can talk the customer into it. Thanks so much for your input.

Chris

JuneC

Thanks, Chris.  I'd be interested in your experience with it as well. 

Bobbin, is it really waterproof?  Is that due to the weave or is there a coating? 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

bobbin

June, I can't answer that question.  I bought the fabric through a friend's shop since the shop I work for doesn't use it.  I would think it is just coated because I think the only way a fabric can be truly "waterproof" is for it to be a solid surface, like a vinyl, but inroads in technology may have changed that. 

My experience with the fabric is that the weave is very tight and the fabric had a very crisp feel to it, like new acrylics, but a little stiffer.  It creased and held a fold nicely, too.  I thought it was great stuff.  I'll be interested to see if Mike weighs in on the waterproof thing. 

Mojo

I am going to try and get Mike on here to answer some of these questions. I know very little about it and maybe I misspoke about it being waterproof. I thought that is what he said but being half deaf I could be wrong. :)

I will give Mike a call and see if he can jump on here later and fill us in on some of the properties of this fabric.

Chris

Mike8560

Recscril I haven't used it enough to remeber, do they claim it to be saterproof or resistant.  I k kw it has a tighter weave to it the sunbrella  and no coating. 

Mojo

Mike:

The Recacril is water resistant.

I talked to a large commercial awning manufacturer and they use Satler on 90 % of their awnings. I am going to give it a try to see how it is. If it is everything that Bobbin says it is then I will probably switch over to Satler.

Chris

ahkahn

It's been a while since I've been here, been extremely busy, but I figured I'd chime in. 

Sattler is a great company.  They are stronger in the production of Marchem-like products (ie. Top Gun, Top Notch, etc) versus standard acrylics, and have always been strong in Europe (like Recacril).  Sattler recently acquired Outdura to bolster their American presence and to bolster their acrylic offering. 

-Andrew