Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 12, 2024, 06:19:56 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

The other 1%

Started by sofadoc, November 03, 2011, 08:32:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mike802

QuoteThe daughter is now 22. She never posted the video until now. She said that he continues to harass her. His version is that she's been holding the video over his head all this time for monetary gains. I've heard theories that the statute of limitations has run out, so she can no longer file charges. So now he has cut her off. Hence, ergo.....the video.
Like father, like daughter? Maybe.

Oh man talk about some dysfunctional family dynamics.  Inter generational family blackmail, must be some interesting thanksgiving diners at that household.  I guise she learned some sick family values, just goes to show you never really now whats going on next door.

Looks like our kids are the same age, my oldest just graduated from college last spring.  He is still living at home and is going to Alabama in a few weeks to help a friend move back to Vermont.  He is kind of obligated because this friend has been storing an old bus of his, this friend also has an old bus, so they have to get two old buses back to Vermont, and be moved back home by the first of the year.  He has assured me once he has this tied up he will start looking for a job.  We both share a lot of quality time together working on different projects, mostly automotive related. 

My youngest son works with mentally handicapped people, he is still at home also and would love to get his own place.  He is frustrated right now because even working 50 hours a week he just cant quite swing it.  He is totally opposite my oldest and is not interested in mechanical projects.  He is a real people person, very nice to talk with and be around, many of his older woman coworkers bring their daughters to work to meet him. LOL  I don't think he "gets it".
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

gene

I used to play competitive racquetball. I wore prescription rec/specs - those eye guards with an elastic band to keep them on your face, only these had prescription lens in them.

As my kids were growing up, I would tell them that if they misbehaved, their dad would wear his rec/specs in public when he was with them.

Today my kids are two of the nicest and most wonderful people you will ever meet.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

November 05, 2011, 08:27:38 am #17 Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 05:54:28 pm by sofadoc
Quote from: gene on November 05, 2011, 05:49:41 am
As my kids were growing up, I would tell them that if they misbehaved, their dad would wear his rec/specs in public when he was with them.

My wife and I used to "threaten" our kids by telling them that we'll get up and start dancing in front of their friends.
I think if they had been given the option, they would've taken the belt. ;)
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

I raised a boy and a girl. I was never a physical type of Dad but rather a father who knew how to get his kids attention.

After my son slammed his bedroom door one to many times I removed the door and put it in the basement for a month. No privacy for a teen is torture. He never slammed his door again. :)

My daughter didn't clean her room after being asked several times. Being a nice Dad I cleaned it for her. She came home from school to find nothing but a bed and dresser in her room. After that I simply had to ask her if she wanted to clean her room or if she wanted Dad to clean it.

Ever try waking a teen up for school after they were up late ? Two calls to wake up followed by a glass of ice cold water works great.  8)

I picked her up at a high school dance once. She was late coming out of the dance so whats a Dad to do ? I walked eight into the dance and out on the dance floor with a big smile and tapped her on the shoulder.  That backfired on me though. Her girlfriends ( who I all knew ) came running out and grabbed me and got me dancing with all the kids. My daughter, horrified at me doing the Boog-A-Loo on the dance floor learned that when Dad says a certain time, he means it. ( I was known from that point on by the other kids as the Coolest Dad in town who could rock it on the dance floor. :)

I have many more stories I could relate. My kids to this day still love telling stories about being raised by me. They always start them with " Remember when Dad......." . They laugh these days over things I did but they were not laughing back then. :)

Chris

gene

I love wilderness canoeing. I have no formal medical training but I have learned a lot over the years about what to do and how to do it with any emergency situation.

When my son was young, he was playing outside with a friend. His friend fell down and hurt his knee. I heard my son say, "Don't tell my dad. He'll poke at it!" LOL

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Darren Henry

Doc; glad to hear George is okay. I've been half an hour reflecting on this post before responded ( an probably an hour re-typing all this LOL)

When I was 4-6 yrs old our border collie mix gave us a litter of pups, courtesy of a fence jumper. Shortly after that she went away [have to ask Dad about that tonight when I call---I can't remember how] and we kept George and found homes for the rest. He resembled a Chesapeake bay retriever.About the time he was house trained my great uncle kicked him off the stoop, so he spent his whole life with a slightly bum hip. When he got old Dad/Mom decided he should go to live with friends on a farm  2-3 miles out of town. I was in high school at the time; when one night in the middle of a major blizzard there came a bark on the door. You guessed it --- good old  geriatric George.You'd have have to whip a husky to make that trip so we assumed he had come "home" to die.Nope; a warm mat in the mud room,nice visit,and bight to eat and he was ready to go home for another few years.

Chris; That kind of leadership either got you where got in the USMC or came from the responsibility you had there. Chicken-- or egg --? 

Because I've never had the privilege of siring a child , people say I shouldn't talk about parenting. I've had to deal with alot of other peoples children including the currant step sons, girlfriends offspring, etc... and all I can say is MY PARENTS WERE/ARE AWESOME.They were the cool parents, they were progressive in that Sheila could change her own oil as easily as I could roast a chicken and trimmings dinner long before we graduated .As mentioned ; that early bond is key. My parents were my best friends. My step sons took years ,and years,and years to bond and accept the info I was trying to share (ie doing auto body repair) that their Dad couldn't teach them.Pretty quick to the money Mom and I had from my job/ short on "you need a kidney?"

QuoteI can bellow like someone with lungs twice my size and scared the crap out of her on a few occasions.

Mom was 5 foot 1 and broke hundred pounds carrying one of us children. I've seen grown men cower from her. When I instructed at the R.C.A battle school ; I had a AAA base ball pitcher (6' 2" 195 lbs) take offense to my inspection of his room one morning. He was shaking like a dog passing razor blades, his face was as red as a baboon's arse , and you knew he just wanted to dust it up a might with me.So I evicted his room,tossed my pace stick beret and tunic on the roommates bed and gave him a free go. He chose not to.It's not the size of the dog in the fight---------It's size of fight in the dog!

Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!