Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 05, 2024, 06:23:57 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Latest Bimini

Started by regalman190, October 20, 2011, 08:16:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

regalman190

October 20, 2011, 08:16:25 pm Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 08:28:36 pm by regalman190
Just thought I'd share this picture. It's a new bimini top with stainless frame for a 36' Sabre fly bridge. This was a tricky one, since there was always a lot of wake. Almost went over board a few times.

Regal Canvas

Grebo

Nice job well done, patterning sure is fun when your dangling off the sides  ;D

Suzi

Mike8560

Nice where was the boat that it was so rough. Did you pattern the canvas  blank

regalman190

The boat is on a large bay off Lake Ontario. There's always a lot of water skiers and fisherman constantly causing wake.

Regal Canvas

JuneC

Looking good.  I hate to work in those rough spots.  It always adds hours to the job both in patterning and installing when you have to put snaps in.  Constantly have to watch the water and grab tools and hang on till the water settles down.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

regalman190

Thanks.

Mike...I patterned with plastic. Seams run port to starboard over the bows, not front to back, so it was a bit easier. I've come to the conclusion I don't like using a center seam. With a center seam, you always have to add darts over the bows and they never look right. Just my opinion.
Regal Canvas

bobbin

Regal., I'm with you with respect to seaming on biminis.  The first shop I worked for made them the same way you do.  The shop I presently work for does them with a centre seam, and not even a topstitched one (double stick tape and two rows of stitching on the top side).  I don't think they last well, at all.  I have had them come into the shop for a complete restitch within 3 yrs..  I have also seen them "sag and bag out", collecting rain water which leads to more sagging or even frame failure. 

I don't think there's any substitute for a stitched and topstitched seam (one line of stitching kept out of the sun), but that's just my opinion and since I am never assigned new marine fabrication work in the shop my opinion counts for less that nothing.   ;)

Mike8560

Quote from: bobbin on October 22, 2011, 03:11:34 am

I don't think there's any substitute for a stitched and topstitched seam (one line of stitching kept out of the sun), but that's just my opinion and since I am never assigned new marine fabrication work in the shop my opinion counts for less that nothing.   ;)

I Agree bobbin on a topstitched seam. But year ago I install all the canvS for a dealer I had next to my old shop.  One thing that was done on theese oem cockpit covers was with the long center seam Dow. The middle   Yo top tlstitch it you would have to roll up on hf the long cover tomtop stitch it.  What they had do e was just stitch it on the inside and to finish it bind the two haltfs.  Now no raw edge two stitch out outf the sun and a berry waterproof seam. The bindin acts like a gutter I'll say and keeps out any water that mY try to enter the seam.  And generaly the center line is high and sheds the water away left and right  anyway. I'll do this is Gerry fast and saves the pia of rolling up the cover. I e done this on my own boats and it lasted fine.