Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 04:11:31 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Benefit from GED Online Classes

Started by jimmysfhd, September 21, 2011, 08:45:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmysfhd

To prepare for your GED test, you can take GED online classes. Some communities provide GED classes in their community colleges, universities or high schools. For you that have difficulties to attend those classes, you can take an online GED classes.

By taking GED ONLINE  classes, you will use net extensively. This will provide you opportunity to maximize net in your knowledge enhancement. Net can be a immense virtual library for you. The resources available such as: sites, blogs, discussion forum etc. Blogs and discussion forums will allows students to share their knowledge with other students. Students can use this media to understand technical and sophisticated topics. When they cannot understand some topics, they can ask other students for helps.

JuneC

And what makes you think the contributors to this board need basic education?  >:(   Very many of us hold 4-year college degrees.  :P

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

kodydog

Quote from: jimmysfhd on September 21, 2011, 08:45:12 am
When they cannot understand some topics, they can ask other students for helps.

Looks like he could use a little GED ONLINE himself.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Lmc530

Quote from: JuneC on September 21, 2011, 10:15:16 am
And what makes you think the contributors to this board need basic education?  >:(   Very many of us hold 4-year college degrees.  :P

June

I had to put my 2 cents in here..  I hold a few college degrees and worked corporate most of my career.. but have never felt the gratification that sewing gives me.. All it ever gave me was a steady paycheck and lots of ugly stress...which is why I've turned my back on corporate and opened up an upholstery shop...

I don't think this subject provides any constructive benefit here..

Lauren~

bobbin

Nor do I, Lauren, lol.  But as Gene points out frequently the spam can really provide a great deal of amusement, too.  It's here for our amusement.  :)

Never ceases to amaze me how many people have turned their backs on the corpie world in favor of a slower, more leisurely work path.  And the corollary to that is how many customers I encounter in a year who, upon first meeting, presume I do what I do because I'm "not smart enough" to do something else.  It's gratifying when they realize how wrong that assumption can be when dealing with a skilled tradesman and allow themselves to see me in a more intellectual light. 

Power to anyone who wants to achieve a GED! takes guts and determination to recognize the void and see that it's filled.  Education and knowledge are indeed power! 

gene

How sad! Do you think Mrs. Sfhd would be proud to know that her little Jimmy grew up to be a spammer?

One of the few tree stumps I will stand on and start preaching about is kids who drop out of high school. It really does break my heart. To begin your life, in our society, without the ability to read and write well, or to do simple arithmetic, is tough.

I think kids who go into the military and get a GED, and some discipline, are very fortunate.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Quote from: bobbin on September 21, 2011, 01:43:19 pm
Never ceases to amaze me how many people have turned their backs on the corpie world in favor of a slower, more leisurely work path. 

What's funny/ironic to me is, many upholsterers on this very board complain about the pressure and stress that this occupation brings on them. While, as you point out, many "corpies" have aborted the "rat race" in favor of  a more "leisurely" career as a stitcher. Guess it all depends on what side of the fence you're on.
Quote from: bobbin on September 21, 2011, 01:43:19 pm
upon first meeting, presume I do what I do because I'm "not smart enough" to do something else. 
I recently met an old buddy from high school. We used to wait tables at the same restaurant back then. He STILL waits tables. I told him what I am doing now. He called me the next day saying that he had "pulled a few strings", and convinced his boss to hire me. He was flabbergasted when I told him that I wasn't interested.
Quote from: JuneC on September 21, 2011, 10:15:16 am
And what makes you think the contributors to this board need basic education?  >:(   Very many of us hold 4-year college degrees.  :P

I think it was "hammer" who told the story about a customer that, upon hearing that he used to be a college professor, asked "What are you doing fixing furniture then?".
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

Just to set the record straight, I was a teaching assistant while in graduate school.  but yes, otherwise that was the story.

Quote from: sofadoc on September 21, 2011, 03:21:31 pm
I think it was "hammer" who told the story about a customer that, upon hearing that he used to be a college professor, asked "What are you doing fixing furniture then?".

A guy that used to work for me had a hardwood floor put in.  He was talking to the guy because his late father used to be a flooring installer.   Turns out the guy doing the floor was a brain surgeon who got fed up with the profession.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

bobbin

I think stress in the "corpie world" is different than it is when you work for yourself or in a skilled trade.  Don't get me wrong, stress is stress, and everyone who works shoulders their share of it.  But there is a sort of satisfaction that comes along with finishing a "job".  When I finish a yacht interior and am ready to start the next project I feel energized, and am excited about doing something that's a bit different. 

I've always known that rush hour traffic, nylons, and an office atmosphere was never for me.  A dear friend of mine is a very successful attorney... as much as I love discussing law/case strategy/research with her there is no way I could ever do that sort of work "for a living"!  I like seeing something come of my effort.  I like making things.  It's tactile, it's creative, and when it's finished I can walk around it and say, "yeah! I made that!". 

Is it stressful? sure, but in a different kind of way. 

kodydog

September 21, 2011, 05:33:06 pm #9 Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 07:21:06 pm by kodydog
I received two stress releaving hugs last week.

The first one from a little old lady who I recovered a wing chair for. When I delivered it and she sat in it she didn't like the feel of the cushion. It felt fine to me but she was only 90# and it sat different to her. Too soft in the back and too firm on the front. I knew what was wrong and assured her I could fix it. When I left she had a worried look on her face. When I got the chair to my shop I put a firmer cushion in and pulled the spring edge down another inch. I delivered it and when she sat in it she was so happy she almost cried. She jumped up and gave me a big ol hug.

The second from a customer I've been working with for the last six months. When I first met the husband we hit it off and talked about some common interests. He helped me load two chairs into the van. When I did the second job for them he was in a hospital type bed hooked to an oxygen tank. When I went to pick up the third job he had passed. The job was a beige,  big over stuffed sofa with large toss pillows for the back cushions. The wife went with a black microfiber and nixed the pillows for box cushions. When we delivered it she almost cried saying her husband would have loved it. She gave us both a big hug. We'll attend his memorial service next month.

How often do you get gratification like this working in the corporate world?
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Nice stories kody.
I think that it's too easy to associate the stressful situations caused by "life in general" with upholstery, or whatever your profession is.
Marriage, finances, health just to name a few. These factors raise the stress levels in everyone. Combine these with a tedious upholstery job, and BINGO, you've got upholstery stress.
I think that if you can separate your business and personal life, you'll find that the upholstery profession is really not very stressful.
This is all very easy for ME to say. I've never had more stress than I could easily handle. The Lord may throw a few tribulations my way tomorrow, and I'll probably be singin' a different tune.
Once again, I've managed to take a topic that started out as a GED spam, and steered it WAY off course. :D
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

I miss my corporate career. I am an A type personality and loved the daily action and the fast paced life style. I am still a little bitter over having to give up my career at the time of my diagnosis. But I have also put things into perspective. I am just happier then a pig in mud to even be alive. They gave me 5 years to live ( and that was 12 years ago ) so I could be a garbage collector and I would still be happy just because I am alive.

It is amazing how people are walking away from high powered careers. My wife is a high school teacher at a private Catholic school and has witnessed it with friends. 2 of her colleagues are lawyers who walked out on the profession and another is an Optometrist who walked away from her practice and started teaching.

I do not need this work to eat or pay bills. I could sell out tomorrow and be fine but I love the work and I feel I am blessed to be able to do something productive in my life despite being sick. I am a workaholic and I have to be doing something so this work fits the bill. But I would be a liar if I said I do not miss my former career.

Chris