Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 05:10:58 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Need thoughts on recover

Started by bobbin, September 12, 2011, 04:42:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

I received a call from a designer to ask if I could recover two chairs.  They're basically straight backed chairs with trimly upholstered legs.  They are basically brand new but the room is being redone and they need new fabric.  I've fooled around recovering things for myself, but I've never "done it for money".  Would I be nuts to take these on? are they deceivingly difficult?  Could you give me any notion of potential pitfalls?

gene

I recently finished two barrel back chairs with covered legs. It was a striped fabric.

The side panels were cut long enough so that there was enough fabric to cover the sides of the legs. The back panels were cut long enough so that there was enough fabric to cover the back of the legs. The front panels were cut long enough...

I used strip chip and ply grip to cover the two inside sides of the legs.

It takes a lot of time! They are not necessarily difficult. It just takes a lot of time to get it looking great.

A solid fabric with a lot of stretch will work easier.

With your chairs being brand new, you can use the old fabric as patterns and that will be a great help for you.

Good luck.

Gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

I remember some pics of a great slip-cover job you did last year.
To me, REcovering is much easier than slip-covering. Especially since the "guts" are basically brand new.
Like Gene said, you can cut all the outside panels long enough to cover the outer parts of the legs. Then run cording along the entire bottom edge of the frame, including the legs. Then finish off the inner parts of the legs.
It doesn't sound like these particular chairs will contain any unexpected pitfalls.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

Quote from: bobbin on September 12, 2011, 04:42:36 am
I received a call from a designer to ask if I could recover two chairs.  They're basically straight backed chairs with trimly upholstered legs.  They are basically brand new but the room is being redone and they need new fabric.  I've fooled around recovering things for myself, but I've never "done it for money".  Would I be nuts to take these on? are they deceivingly difficult?  Could you give me any notion of potential pitfalls?

Sounds like you have a pair of parsons chairs.
http://www.carringtoncourtdirect.com/tagSearch.cfm?Tag=Unskirted%20Parsons%20Chair

Gene couldn't have said it better, not real hard but a lot of detail. Their usually not real expensive new, but your designer is getting a custom job with designer fabric, don't be scared to charge.

From what I've seen of your work. I know you can handle it.

To strip, cut and sew (if there is any sewing) I'd figure 4 or 5 hours each. If you've never done one before maybe another couple hours.

I've seen these chairs where the seat gets upholstered and stops at the legs. Then the legs get sewn and just slip on. Be careful not to sew the legs too tight or it'll be a real bugger to get on. And the front legs may be a different size than the back ones. Double check.

If you have any questions you know where to find us.

Good luck
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

baileyuph

Bobbin,

Follow your instincts, I don't doubt your ability to handle the project. 

That said, be ready for anything.  One can encounter anything, the frames and leg attachments are not the strongest but can be reinforced, adding time.

The leg issue, they are done a lot of different ways, on some the leg covering is part of the basic outside panels.  Some are done as described above, separate covers.  Factories will do it which is the fastest, at the expense of using more fabric.  Often the legs are not hardwood, cheaper to build and since the legs are covered, factories can get way with more.

If will be an experience, slightly different than making a slip cover for a club chair making it an experience that will additive.  The fabric and pattern can vary the complexity, as one would surmise.

Post a picture of the chairs, to make it interesting. 

Doyle

bobbin

Thanks for the encouragement, you guys.  I have jotted down some notes about things to look at and for when I have a gander at them (Thursday afternoon).  I esp. appreciate the time estimate from you Kody, that allows me a good starting point for an estimate. 

I've never done this sort of thing before and not having any practical experience can put my fingernails in peril.  Good thing you guys have experience!  "Workin' for the man" has been no fun lately and desperation has a little to do with my willingness to look at this project.  ;)

I'll let you know how it goes.