Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 29, 2024, 03:26:57 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

one for mojo rv awning

Started by jeepdoc, August 31, 2011, 09:10:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jeepdoc

The neighbor asked if i could do awnings. question is what material is used for the part that slides into the roller and the slide attached to the rv?

What would be the best material to use something like top gun?

Ive had all kinds of different requests lately.

Mojo

I use nothing but Recacril fabric. It is the very best for RV awnings because it has zero stretch properties because of its weave. It is a European fabric made in Spain and has a 5 year warranty.

The vast majority of fabrics used on RV's in the past has been Sunbrella which has been great for my business. :) Every awning job I am doing is replacing Sunbrella awnings. It maybe great for boats, but it sucks for RV awnings. It stretches, distorts and looks like crap after a short period of time. Even the large awning manufacturers are finding out this material is not good for RV's and have now switched to Recacril. Every time you install an awning on an RV with fabric that stretches ( like Sunbrella ) you are costing your customer money because they have to go back to the dealer to have the tension reset on the awning -
( approx $ 125 per service call ). Some have been back numerous times over a 5 year period. Also, the poly thread used on these awnings has not stood up to the test of time and many fail after a couple years.
One other benefit of Recacril.........its cheaper then Sunbrella which will increase your margins for you. :)

I advise you to use Recacril, use double stitch runs at the top and bottom and use either Tenara or Solarfix  thread. This is getting to be the industry standard and two RV dealers that I deal with refuse to accept any awnings from me unless I 1.) use Recacril fabric 2.) cut with a hot knife 3.) sew with Tenara thread 4.) Double run stitch the top and bottom polyrod pockets. One of the dealers ( which is the largest Monaco service center in the USA ) is hardcore about their awning requirements so I have no choice but to do it like they require. But in the end I produce one of the highest quality awnings made and that has gotten me a lot of business.

You will need to replace the polyrod at the top of the awning. This is the plastic rod that slides into the awning channel on the side of the coach. You can obtain this rod through Patio Products Inc. located in Boca Raton, FL. I have already searched the country for this rod and they are the cheapest of anyone I have found but you have to buy 1,000 ft rolls at a time. You will be using 1/4 inch rod for the top channel. The bottom rail I have my customers re-use this rod as it is always in like new condition. It is smaller in diameter then the top polyrod.

You can contact Miami Mike and he can get you squared away on the fabric and thread. His number is 513-298-5519. Tell him I told you to call him and have him go over the fabric details with you and am helping you put together some awning work. he is very well versed on the subject because I have beat it into him. :)

If your replacing a tan OEM awning then the color match you will want in Recacril is Heather Beige. Mike knows this color all to well. lol. he has sold me boat loads of of that stuff and I recently cleaned out his Jacksonville warehouse of this color. :)

If you run into any snags along the way let me know and I will do what I can to help you. Give MIke a call and he can get you squared away on the fab/thread end.

Best of luck.

Chris

Mike8560

I hate to derail but I gear bow recscril will not streach. 
So I tried it on a mooring cover it was a delta boat and they had it on such an a gle outside that rain puddled on it and streached a bubble I. It where thenwater sat. 
So I can't sell on this no streach. I wonder about no Shrink ?

Mojo

The only Recacril that I know of that will stretch is the outdoor furniture grade which has a stretch across the bias. I have had my own RV awnings on my coach collect tons of water and it never stretched out. The water drained off and there was no distortion at all afterwards. The material went right back to normal.

There is a bit of a stretch across the bias on awning grade Recacril but that is very minimal. Nothing like Sunbrella. How was this cover made or installed to create that bubble ? That is the first I have ever heard of any Recacril stretching and distorting.

I have a lot of awnings out there on RV's Mike and have never had a complaint or had a customer call to say one was distorted or stretched.

Chris

Mike8560

S was the outdoor ordered from Miami I'm sure ther wouldn't have been a problem if it want sitting as it was and. Allowed to puddle then the weight of the water. Many gallons and streached. 

Darren Henry

QuoteYou can obtain this rod through Patio Products Inc. located in Boca Raton, FL. I have already searched the country for this rod and they are the cheapest of anyone I have found but you have to buy 1,000 ft rolls at a time. You will be using 1/4 inch rod for the top channel. The bottom rail I have my customers re-use this rod as it is always in like new condition. It is smaller in diameter then the top polyrod.

If you don't want 983 feet of polyrod in stock, you could use 1/4 " nylon rope. It works and once it's onside the awning rail, no one knows the difference.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mojo

I have done so many awnings that I have made a big dent in that polyrod stock. :)

I thought I would never use that much rod but.............When your doing large awnings and a lot of them it doesn't take long to use that stuff up.

Chris

Mike8560

Chris I wonder why they don't use kedar welt like the marine Industry the welt is sewn onto the awning  under the canvas not seen fron the outside   not in a pocket
I've seen where this polyrod in a pocket.  The canvas got snaged and torn from the track and tuebrod was exposed. And I had to repair the hole. I remeber my first cull roll of polywelt for making  piping I thought I never use it all up at first.   

Allan

Chris

Do you sew a pocket in the awning and feed the polyrod through later??
or sew it as you would do with welting??

Allan

Mojo

Allan:

I sew it with the pocket. Because the vast majority of my awnings are now being shipped out of State it makes it easier to roll up the awning for placement in the box. Even when I do local work I still just sew pockets and have the customer or dealer slide the polywelt through at time of installation.

Allan I put together a video showing you how I make my awnings but am still trying to find a way to edit it. I am not very tech savy. :) Once I get it finished I will [post it.

Mike:

I can pretty much guess the reason they do it this way is because of costs. You owned a motorhome and have seen how they cut corners during production. I believe your method of using poly welt is the right way to go but the cost keeps the manufacturers from doing it.

Chris

Darren Henry

If I am not going to sew the polyrod in as I sew the pocket I sew in a piece of button twine.When I go to install I drill a small hole in the polyrod and tie it to the string and draw it through rather than trying to push it 16 or 18 feet.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Allan

Thanks Chris

I wait in anticipation   :P

Allan