Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 30, 2024, 09:40:37 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Upholstering with designer fabrics - like Gucci, Fendi and Louis Vuitton

Started by TheHogRing, September 03, 2011, 03:52:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHogRing

There's a growing subculture among auto enthusiasts that could affect the types of materials auto trim shop carry. Folks, who have expensive taste, are incorporating high-end designer fabrics in the their vehicles' interiors. Inspired by the look and feel of designer-brand handbags, these people are asking auto trim shops to upholster their cars in Gucci, Fendi, Burberry and Louis Vuitton.

Out of curiosity, have any auto trimmers in this forum worked with designer fabrics in the past? And if so, what's your experience been like - especially considering these fabrics are made to line purses, not car seats?

For pictures and to read more about this trend, check out: http://tinyurl.com/3zta3jy

JuneC

Guess none of us are catering to this customer set just yet.  But, as a former owner of a Gucci purse (my former mother-in-law thought I should have one), I can tell you the printed Gucci vinyl is bullet-proof and outlasted the leather trim, with absolutely no signs of wear after probably 3 years of use.  The fabric lining was also in perfect condition.  I suspect that Louis Vuitton is equally as good or better as I see their luggage regularly on baggage carousels and I've never seen one in damaged condition. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

TheHogRing

Interesting points JuneC. I've never owned a Gucci purse myself (I'm a guy), but I could understand Gucci material being of the finest quality. After all, you get what you pay for.

Car fabrics, however, are also tested according to how well they withstand the elements - water, heat, etc. I wonder how well these designer fabrics perform in similar situations. Perhaps really well. They've haven't been used in cars long enough for any of us to know.

scarab29

Got a pic somewhere of a escalade with the gucci treatment. Full interior was done in Gucci material though I suspect it is counterfit. The paint also had the gucci logo ghost painted on the pearl white. Had the usual thug 24 in chrome shoes. Made ya look !!
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

TheHogRing

Quote from: scarab29 on September 06, 2011, 02:14:32 pm
Got a pic somewhere of a escalade with the gucci treatment. Full interior was done in Gucci material though I suspect it is counterfit. The paint also had the gucci logo ghost painted on the pearl white. Had the usual thug 24 in chrome shoes. Made ya look !!

Haha... isn't that usually the case?

mike802

The Gucci fabric may have held up well inside a handbag, but how would it hold up to the ultra violet rays that cars are subjected to?  Like stated above, we really don't know, I would treat this as any COM at this point.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com