Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 05, 2024, 04:16:56 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Awning price Bobbin?

Started by Mike8560, September 01, 2011, 06:46:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike8560

Had a rfarsl call and bright me a awning to look at it was a rounded as I.  Like o e that would project out over a door. It was abiout 8' long by  7 wide with gromett laced on and a scolloped vallane around
a curved top with a flat face o. The front. Track with welt at the top
I figured 7 yards of 60" stainless gromett  binding at $500  well it was well above what he thought it would be    Is that too much for an awning ?

bobbin

I don't think, so, Mike.  I think you were describing a "bullnose" awning, they're a fair piece of work (usually there are several pie shaped pieces to make up the rounded shape) and you have to lace them on, which means grommets and time to set them.  Any chance you could put up a picture?  I have heard that there are a lot of awning companies in FL and prices are lower than here in the NE, but if you don't think you can make money on the job then what's the point in taking it??

Mike8560

September 02, 2011, 05:09:17 am #2 Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 05:10:31 am by Mike8560
L I gave. Price they just laughed in there heads and left He can go to an awni g place now he probly thought. Marine canvas buy may be cheaper

jojo

Bobbin, where in the northeast are you? I'm in NE PA, Scranton. I used to work for a guy who did awnings, and I have a few inquiries about awnings from customers, but I never know where to begin. Also, many people around here have their ancient canvas awnings, and when you tell them Sunbrella lasts 7 years, they balk.

bobbin

I am in the banana belt of Maine. 

Awnings are a blast to make; basic window awnings are not difficult.  When you get into the fixed frame awnings that have curves and contour you have to be willing to fit them carefully, but again they're not that hard to do with some practice (like anything!).  I get a real kick out different valence shapes, binding colors, and tassels. 

They're a great way to dress up a house or a business and they are so practical!  Keeping the sun's rays off the glass is a quick way to control interior temperatures in the summertime.  If you use air conditioning you can save up to 30% of the cost by using window awnings, too. 

It's the installation and take-downs that can be the drag.  It means transporting and setting up ladders and knowing how to efficiently install things.  I had a colleague bend my frames and install them on the building.  I am capable of put up/take down but I didn't know how to properly install the fittings on the building. 

I got a solid 7 yrs. out the set of awnings I did for the house in the mid-90s and simply haven't remade them in several years now.  I even have the fabric! (lol, about time, huh?).  I washed mine every year and treated them with a water repellant, too. 

Mike8560

September 02, 2011, 11:00:05 am #5 Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 11:04:53 am by Mike8560
ThIs is how it was shaped bobin althought not as big as  this
http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/338344953/new_style_door_awning.jpg

banana belt I never heard that before
check this out o. Found it prety funny and true

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnTVNZojojU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

bobbin

Mike, that's a pretty straightforward entrance canopy.  A "Bullnose" has a frame that is curved on the projection from the building, too (basically 1/4 sphere).  Entrance canopies like the one you pictured are not hard to make.  But like everything else they take time and materials.