Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 05, 2024, 02:30:23 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Need help with a seat seam (Viper seat)

Started by SoInTrouble, September 01, 2011, 04:34:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SoInTrouble

September 01, 2011, 04:34:11 pm Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 04:41:01 pm by SoInTrouble
I have done a few 60's and 70's car seats, and all the seams I have used are french, flat felled, top, and welt(boxed?). Anyway, I have a friend with a set of Viper seats in front and he wants me to make the back seats match.  It looks like a blind stitch in the middle of the insert, but I am not sure how to do it, and have it lie flat.  Any ideas?

Here are a couple generic viper seat from the net:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/supratt6s/100_0086.jpg

http://1carpictures.com/data/media/76/Viper_SRT_10_seat.jpg

JuneC

You talking about the horizontal seam about midway between the top and bottom of the paler shade (looks like woven fabric) in the center of the seat back?  Now I do boats, not cars, but I can guarantee you that's just a regular listing seam with some sort of pull behind it that is attached to the frame with hog rings? velcro?  J-channel?  Auto guys will know.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

SoInTrouble

Thank you for the reply.  I am talking about the horizontal seam. 

I cannot tear down the viper seat to see how it is constructed.  I am trying to create the appearance of the seat on a bench seat that doesn't have the same pattern, so the frame is not set up for a listing. 

The material is a imitation suede fabric.  I was thinking there might be a way of tuck and rolling with two large pieces, or sewing two pieces with scrim backings on them together or some other way I could get this look.

JuneC

I think I'd find a way to add a listing to the frame.  Can you post a pic and maybe we can brainstorm how to make it work?

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

SoInTrouble

I am tearing the old bench seat down and will post a picture when I am done.  From the other seats I have done I know it will be a bed of zig zag springs.

MinUph

Quote from: SoInTrouble on September 02, 2011, 08:23:21 am
From the other seats I have done I know it will be a bed of zig zag springs.

Perfect. You can hog ring to them easily. Just need to cut a slot in the foam for the pull to go through.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website