Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 26, 2024, 07:18:35 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

razor blades

Started by lruthb, August 26, 2011, 12:19:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lruthb

I swear razor blades come half dull these days! GRRR

Mike8560

Agree. I got a pack of utility blades I  use to open up seam and take off seat skins. I bought a Stanley pack not long ago.  And I was condtaly changing blades maybe two cuts before it got dull

byhammerandhand

You want cheaper?  We got cheaper!

There was a thread on this subject in the last few weeks on another forum, one that I'm trying to find....    But a lot of people seemed to like Irwin Bi-Metal and Lenox Gold utility knife blades.   I just got a small pack of Bahco but have yet to dig into them.    I'm still working on blades I bought back in the 1980s.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

I bought a 100 pack the other day from Lowes. They come in a plastic dispenser with a red button on the end. You push the button, and a blade pops up. Even with the plastic dispenser, they're no more expensive than the individual paper wrapped blades, and the blades seem to be sharper.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

A fellow I used to work with showed me a little trick. If you use a utility knife just use a honing stone to sharpen it. Lay the blade almost flat and use circular motion. It'll sharpen it just like new. Lots easier than changing the blade every time you hit a staple. My blades last six months or more. I have a 50 blade dispenser I bought 12 years ago.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

gene

I use razor blades a lot, but mostly for cutting fabric, such as around wordwork where I will be gluing double welt cord. I hit one staple or tack and the blade is ruined.

I buy those cheap razor blades that the end can break off and you have a brand new tip. Walmart sells two for $1.50 and the Dollar store will occasionally have one for a dollar but there are 10 refill blades in them.

I will try the honing stone trick with my razor blade knife.

2300 years ago the Chinese made hundreds of Terracotta Solders. They were full sized models and were fully clothes with weapons. This was discovered in 1974. The edge of the knives and swords were just as sharp as they were when made 2300 years ago. Scientists discovered that the edges had a microscopic layer of chromium on them and this prevented any oxidation, or rusting.

Well, in the 1940's American scientists discovered this great new way to keep sharp edges sharp. They found that if you put a microscopic layer of chromium on the edges it would prevent oxidation, or rusting.

How in the world, or out of the world, did the Chinese 2300 years ago know about Chromium plating, and how did that technology get lost until rediscovered in the 1940's?

Inquiring minds want to know.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

We are talking about razor blades like these, aren't we?
http://www.lowes.com/pd_155134-995-34112_0__?productId=3082935&Ntt=razor+blades&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Drazor%2Bblades&facetInfo=

I can see where the honing trick would work on utility knife blades. But does it work on razor blades?
I agree with lruthb. It seem as if some brands come from the factory "pre-dulled".
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

Mine always seem sharp enough to cut me when I don't want them too. :)

Chris

Mike8560

Use a utility blade in a knife.
I loke them so sharp you can just toouch thebthread with tention onit and it will cut less hance of cutting the fabric. 

scarab29

I use the olfa knives with the snap off blades. I use stainless blades for tinting as they are softer and will not etch the glass. I also have high carbon blades that will cut right into the glass. Great for upholstry  though .
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Mike8560

Tinting? You Neenah window tint scarab? Do youndo this also

scarab29

I have a shop that does all kinds of car customizing. We specialize in european cars. I got into doing the marine upholstry and canvas like 5 yeears ago when i couldn't find anyone to do my boat interior.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

scottymc

These are the knives that I made during my apprenticeship in 1977 utility knife and skiving knife and the high speed hacksaw blade they were made from, sharpen them with an oil stone, bit cheaper , sharper and more efficient, easy to make.http://www.flickr.com/photos/44150537@N02/6102271542/in/photostream