Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 01, 2024, 12:24:11 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Ultra leather

Started by Mike8560, September 02, 2011, 08:38:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike8560

Looks like ill most likely be redoing some sette cushion for a 350 cRver ther were ultra leather what a mews all cracked yp and worn. Somone redid the dinette opisite it already  sitha hdurable matching vinyl. Same as what I'm asked to do. For the mkney this ultra leather looks like
junk.   If luck has it the owner will also do some extesive tops o. The boat also. Next month. 

JuneC

I've never seen Ultraleather crack.  How old was the upholstery?  In my experience, Ultraleather is pretty tough stuff, though rats love it (got to redo a bunch of seats because a rat got on board). 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike8560

Well the boat was ten years at best old. I probly shouldn't have said cracking. But the Finnish was worn odd in strips sombodybon gere mentioned that ultra leather had been used on some resteraunt booths and from sliding into them had caught the Finnish layer and damaged it.  This looked to have been the case here

RiCat

10 year old UltraLeather is kinda old. That is back in the day when it first came out. There has been improvements in polyurethanes since then. UltraLeather makes a couple of marine versions and there is another polyurethane called Elements that is for the outdoor environment. What I find intriguing about an outdoor polyurethane is the characteristics of darker colored polyurethanes staying cool(er) in the sun. A problem I have encountered with UltraLeather is when compressed (like making buttons or welt with it), it can prematurely wear out. I built cushions out of white UltraLeather on a yachts flying bridge about 4 years ago and have not heard any complaints.

Rick

Rich

Could be Finesse? I've seen that stuff look like very dried out and worn leather after not too many years of use.
What I'm finding with UL (on the dental chairs I reupholster) is tearing at seams in points of stress in a just a few years. My own personal opinion is that this will pass from use in dental chairs just like Fiinesse did. Other uses? depends on the application I guess.
I'll take good old Naugahyde any day! :)
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

Mike8560

A well half fhebcBib was xhNved fo vinyl  so this will be also.