Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 05, 2024, 07:32:50 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Total Quality Management & Word-of-Mouth Marketing

Started by TheHogRing, August 07, 2011, 06:45:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHogRing

Naseem Muaddi of Delaware County Auto Upholstery wrote an interesting piece for The Hog Ring titled, "Total Quality Management & Word-of-Mouth Marketing". We'd love to hear your thoughts on it...

An interesting snippet from the article:

"Most shops understand the importance of quality craftsmanship, but often underestimate its power as a marketing tool. Don't make the mistake of assuming your customers automatically expect to receive the highest quality of work from you.  At some point all consumers have been disappointed on a previous purchase.  Marketing your business through the quality of your work will not only establish a solid reputation, but also justify your prices. Most importantly, however, it will generate consumer confidence -- which is easily the most influential factor in sales."

Check out the full article here: http://tinyurl.com/3r8a76o

fragged8

August 07, 2011, 02:54:25 pm #1 Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 02:55:35 pm by fragged8
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH  !!  

i haven't read the article but TQM   EEEK !!

it strikes fear into me, i used to work for a big corporate and they spent millions
on TQM. I thought i'd escaped the monster of corporate practices.

all i can say is ' don't go there'

Rich

fragged8

JuneC

Quote from: fragged8 on August 07, 2011, 02:54:25 pm
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH  !! 

i haven't read the article but TQM   EEEK !!

it strikes fear into me, i used to work for a big corporate and they spent millions
on TQM. I thought i'd escaped the monster of corporate practices.

all i can say is ' don't go there'

Rich

Me too, Rich.  Now I do believe in quality and the ability of a high quality product to do some marketing for you, but I'm sooooooo over the corporate buzzwords that didn't generate anything but managed to keep some paper-pushers knee deep in BMW's.  Been there - TQM, Baldridge, ISO, Quality Circles, you-name-it. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mojo

I have been part of all the focus groups, TQM and the other Kumbaya programs and it drove me nuts. I spent so many wasted hours in hand holding / cheerleader sessions that it drove me bat-shit-crazy. I have seen countless millions thrown away on these programs brought forth by some professor at some business University who has never stepped foot in the real corporate world and therefore doesn't have a clue.

In regards to quality, it is what I have hitched my wagon to. The vast amount of my work is all referrals and I have no choice but to turn out high quality and amazing work on every single order. The day I quit doing that and start turning out mediocre work will be the day I might as well sell my machine and go fishing. My business will dry up over night.

I have to compete with quality and price so I do everything I can to try and stand above the competition and set myself apart from the others.

Chris

TheHogRing

Right on Mojo!

Haha I can understand your disdain for corporate buzz words. Then again, lots of corporations are massively successful for a reason. And we, as independent shop owners, can learn a thing or two from them.

I suppose the the article's main point is that you should hold your work to the highest standards - for two reasons:

First, it will help justify a higher price for your services.

Second, people who love your work will spread the word. And the best form of advertisement is word-of-mouth.

Call it TQM or whatever you like, but there's truth to that.

Besides, if your not giving each and every job your best, why bother?

bobbin

I owe tomorrow's work to the quality of what was delivered yesterday. 

"Those who can't do, teach.  Those who can't teach, manage". 

::)

fragged8

the only reason corporates actually make money is quantity,

i have this take on your words bobbin

those that can  do
those that can't teach
those that can't teach, teach teachers :-)

when i did my teacher training the lady that took us admitted she was no good at teaching the subject she trained for so decided to teach teachers.

And Mojo, i love  ' Bat shit crazy'  hhehe i nearly fell off my chair  ;D

rich

Mike8560

Quote from: Mojo on August 08, 2011, 04:45:24 am
the day I might as well sell my machine and go fishing. My business will dry up over night.

Chris

hey don't knock it  I won't sell my machine as I'll always need it but in work for fishing  nothing is more relaxing then  sitting  in a quiet cove wetting a line and a cold
drink 

fragged8

Quote from: Mike8560 link=topic=10505.msg83132#msg83132 date=131290870
/quote]
nothing is more relaxing then  sitting  in a quiet cove wetting a line and a cold
drink 

Not for me Mike, I've not caught a fish since xmas ????