Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 01:21:00 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Project pics

Started by JuneC, August 07, 2011, 06:15:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JuneC

I've been promising these.  The Formula 280SS upholstery complete.

And my next project - complete upholstery of a Baja 38 Special.  I'm replacing all this plywood and standard foam with plastic sheet (Aqua-Plas 5 and Starboard) and dri-fast.  First project with Aqua-Plas and I'm loving it.  After setting the first 6 t-nuts I've decided they weren't stretching the truth when they said 1000 pounds per sq. inch holding power on a screw.  The points of the nuts were NOT driving into the plastic it's so dense.  Wood screws will hold just fine.  T-nuts on this piece are difficult since there are multiple layers of board plus the fiberglass engine hatch that all have to line up.  Wood screws will make life a lot easier. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

jojo

Mike8560

The formula looked great   
I'll look forward to the finnished baja. Insee the  asteak deck on the formula I remeber you were doing that. Did you install  that deck? 

bobbin

How many hours do you have into the Formula, June?  (it looks fabulous!)

We replace plywood with the plastic stuff frequently.  It's heavy, isn't it?!  Also, did you find any weird, moisture loving insects inside the old upholstery?   I had one with about 5 thousand legs run over my hand not too long ago, lol.  The joys of marine work...  :o

Mojo

June, what can I say...................You Rock.

What an awesome job.  But then I expected nothing less coming from you. 8)

Chris

fragged8

August 08, 2011, 06:34:34 am #5 Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 06:35:48 am by fragged8
WOW June thats very very nice work

and thanks for posting up the pictures, i can't wait to see the latest project.

did you pattern yours with plastic ?

Rich

JuneC

Thanks all.  I used measurements rather than patterns for most of the upholstery.  And the old vinyl for the helm seat.  It was old, hard, and warped, but it would have taken me days to create new patterns for that thing.  It has 9 horizontal strips of vinyl across the back of that seat alone to accommodate the curve.  That one piece took me a week.  It took 2 solid days to pattern and cut the pieces.  I'm guessing there were 30 to 40 pieces on that seat.  The nightmare of it all was getting the blue stripe to meet up on all pieces since they were mounted at different levels as you go around the cockpit. 

Altogether, it probably took me 2 weeks soup to nuts.  The whole thing is sewn with tenara monofilament and that presented it's own set of problems - like skipped stitches where I had a little too much glue between the sew-foam and vinyl.  While glue is easier and faster, next time I'll be trying no glue and stitch the sew foam around the edges of the pieces before assembly.  It gives a smoother finish and avoids the thread sticking that I'm pretty sure is the cause of skipped stitches. 

Yeah, Mike, that's Flexiteek.  I didn't personally install it, but our fiberglass guy did the job. 

Just the usual mites and a few spiders, Bobbin.  Gives me the creeps!   

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

regalman190

Regal Canvas

Peppy

Hawt dog! Nice and crisp! Sweet stripe! You need to post pictures more, I think this is the first time I've seen your work? Let's see the rest!
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

That's a boat waiting for a party to happen. Beautiful work June.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mojo

Now you can see why I call June our " Queen of Marine "..........

Dang..... that's a catchy saying there. Maybe there is some marketing magic to be had with that tag line. :)

I love seeing her work. I just wished she would post more of it. ( hint, hint June ).

Chris

Therapy

Nice job June
   and no welt at all im not a big fan of welting
   But sometimes i guess its needed
   i realy like that cockpit chair that would of taken me 2 weeks

Mike H
Juki 563