Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 09:15:43 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Fitment STRESS

Started by Mike8560, August 05, 2011, 04:56:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike8560

Every time after I pattern a job I know I patterned best I could and make. It. Then on  I stress out the night before and or on the way over to the job getting worse the closer I get. 
I had done a cockpit cover on a 30 somthing formula  and in the end all fi fine and then I had to latter a new bimini for it and do so so that the existing window  fit. I hate to do this it's like building backwards.  But I finnished it yesterday and this morning went over to install it woryi g on the drive   But all was well top fit fine and the windows also.
I just stress out to much  upholstery is nice because you can see the finnished seat in the shop  but even then I worry about how it all looks installed.  Like the upholstery I'm working on for a glacial bay. 

JuneC

I hear you....  :(  It's not an easy task to fit a new top to existing windows.  I tried to sub out one of those jobs to a canvas shop this spring when I was up to my a$$ in alligators and they simply said "no".  They wouldn't bid it. 

And the fact that you stress about jobs shows that you still care about your end results.  On some occasions I've gone back to a customer months after a job and said to them that I just had to fix something I didn't like on their job.  It eats at me until it's done to MY satisfaction, even if the customer thinks it's good.  You have to be able to sleep at night  :-\

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

fragged8

Hiya

I'm so glad you decided to share that Mike, I too get myself wound up into a mess when it comes time to fit a job.
You spend a week sewing not knowing if the cover will actually fit or not and that if it doesn't fit then you have to
do it all over again. not to mention your schedule getting kicked into the long grass if it goes wrong.

I had no Idea you guys who have been doing this for years get the same feeling > :-)

thanks

Mike8560

August 06, 2011, 08:38:34 am #3 Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 03:53:31 pm by Mike8560
Thing is it always fits I just never know though till it's done and on I'll stress that maybe I sew a zipper on backwards or I'll pull over and check the van to be sure I brought I tool  I need. I'm always questioning myself.  I stress myself out then it fits fine and I have check in hand

scarab29

My wife just doesn't get when I do this. She does stress over her own things but just can't seem to see when I do it over this canvas work.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Peppy

I was like that for a long time. I've found peace. I made it, I can fix it. I try to be 3 patterns ahead of the sewers, so I have piles of potential F*ups lying around. Even if I made the pattern perfect the sewer has every opportunity to screw it up. What are you going to do? My sewer said it best when I went to install a top we made over the winter that I was worried about; 'If it's wrong, it's been wrong all winter.' But it'll be right in the spring.

'Is the boat symmetrical?' 'Did I remember to mark that?' 'Did I do that right?' I'll find out next week I guess. I try to not even think about it till I'm at the boat and actually fitting it. Then it's a matter of not freaking about wrinkles/miss-fits till it's finished. Thats my problem sometimes, walking around the boat worrying about fit when it's actually fine. Don't worry about that part till you get around to that part.

I think it also helps to be a cocky bastard, and to have absolute faith in your awesomeness.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

Mike8560

August 06, 2011, 12:49:05 pm #6 Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 03:55:53 pm by Mike8560
I do it all so I always question somthing pep.  It really bad like one  when I have done a 38 or  so Bridge and aft and the boat is an hour away I've done that a few times fit fine  but  I alway worry

fragged8

June is dead right, it's because we actually care about what we do
not some corporate robot job.

Rich

Mike8560

ua I care but probly more so I'm not waysting  my time  and looking stupid
I just want it rite and done and to be paid  and move on