Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 10:22:37 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

New to vinyl- any tricks to hold folded vinyl?

Started by Shanti Designs, July 12, 2011, 06:10:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Shanti Designs

I am new to working with vinyl and just bought a Consew 206RB-5.  I am making vinyl yoga mat bags with a stripe down the center like a retro golf bag.  When I assemble the stripe before mounting it on the bag, I have to tuck one side under and topstitch.  I am able to sew right sides together on the first side, then flip it over and topstitch.  It's when I get to the other side that I want to know if there is an easy way to tuck under the fabric since needles aren't an option?  I'm new to my industrial machine and feel like there might be an easy way I don't know about.  I feel like this is a newbie question and forgive me if this has been answered before.  Any tips or even a good book or website anyone would recommend?  Thanks!

Hell Bat

There maybe better tricks,but I glue them down with a little contact,I use about a 3/4 or so salvage to do this,then after sewing, pull up and cut off extra salvage so it dose not show by being bumpy.

Shanti Designs

I hadn't thought of glue.  I've been using painter's tape but it seems like there might be a trick I'm missing.  Thanks.

sofadoc

Does the stripe run from seam to seam? If so, how about this?
Let's say you have a white panel with a red stripe running down the middle of it.
Cut 2 pieces of white vinyl, 1 piece of red vinyl.
Sew one side of red face to face with one side of white.
Then sew the other piece of white face to face to the other side of red vinyl.
Then do your topstitching. It should be easy this way to keep the seam tucked while sewing.
It sounds from your description that you are trying to do it without cutting the white into 2 seperate panels.
Am I making any sense? Or did I misunderstand?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Shanti Designs

I understand what you are describing.  What I am trying to do is take a piece of vinyl about 25" long by 181/2" wide and sew a strip about 4" wide down the center.  The strip has two colors, one on top of the other but it runs down the center but is only 18" long because there is a top strip and bottom strip across and I want it to lay smooth.  The problem comes when I want to sew this center piece on.  I have thought about cutting the large piece and making a strip in the center but I want it to be clean on the inside because the customer using the bag will be able to see inside.  I am simply applying the center strip on top of the large piece.  I sew with right sides together on the first side and it's when I get to the second side after flipping it over so the design is up that I have to tuck in the vinyl and I need it to be straight.  Hope this makes sense.  Thanks for thinking this through with me.  I don't know if there is a way to include an image on this forum but it would help.  If there is, let me know.
Thanks

sofadoc

July 13, 2011, 08:52:46 pm #5 Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 11:39:53 pm by sofadoc
Quote from: Shanti Designs on July 13, 2011, 08:34:11 pm
I don't know if there is a way to include an image on this forum but it would help.  If there is, let me know.

Read the sticky titled "Picture posting primer". It's the first post in General Discussion. It explains how to post pics that we can click on for an enlargement.
I think I understand what you're trying to do.
I'll bet that some of the boat guys that sew in different color vinyls can help you figure it out.
Sounds to me like you're going to need some type of folding attachment, like this (except I don't think this one will let you go on top of another layer):
http://cgi.ebay.com/S75D-SINGLE-FOLD-DOWTURN-HEMMER-3-8-BERNINA-SINGER-JUKI-/110446694105?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19b722ced9
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

scottymc

July 14, 2011, 01:43:36 am #6 Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 01:44:29 am by scottymc
Sounds like you are making a simple job complicated, get your strip lay it face down on the bench, the edges that you want tucked under , fold them over and using the handle of your scissors put a crease to create your straight line. Flip it over and sew it on and it will sit flat and all you need is a line of top sewing along each edge, less sewing , no glue or tape. Hope I understood what you were after.

JuneC

July 14, 2011, 07:10:18 am #7 Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 07:36:01 am by JuneC
Personally, I'd piece it and add a bag liner, but you could try seamstick tape to hold the 2nd side after creasing as mentioned by Scotty.  

http://www.amazon.com/Bainbridge-1-2f4-22-Seamstick-Tape/dp/B001TX47YC

June

Post note...  Defender has it for a lot less $$

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|5948|311443|296535&id=1528370

"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields