Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 07, 2024, 07:41:57 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

VW Thing - needs plastic windows replaced in all 4 doors

Started by baileyuph, May 23, 2011, 05:25:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

For those not very familiar, this is approximately 40 years old and was Volkswagons more or less jeep vehicle.

The plastic window material is stitched between two layers of vinyl.

Replacement plastic will be cut and inserted between the two vinyl layers and stitched in.  Any tips on keeping the inside and outside layer smooth and positioned?  The two layers are essentially superimposed.  Temporary positioning of the two layers of vinyl (perfectly on top of each other) with the glass selvage sandwiched between is the challenge.  Staples do not appear as an option. 

Some type of tape that wouldn't leave a sticky residual and would even tear away after sewn through available?

Does this come up in marine work, probably if only one layer is sewn to windows.

Perhaps someone has done the "Thing" window replacement?

Doyle

scarab29

I use seam tape when doing boat window replacements in this fashion. Super sticky and avilable from 1/4 inch on up. shoule be perfect for this "thing"
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

DBR1957

Keep in mind you might need to use the clear that has the DOT stamp on it. These
are usually available in small precut sheets.

fragged8

baileyuph

Quote[I use seam tape when doing boat window replacements in this fashion. /quote] 

Yes, I had toyed with using double sided tape as you suggest.  It probably won't be noticed, hope not, as it will be inclosed and non removeable when I seam the window in.  The double sided seam tape can be inserted between the two vinyl layers first, then insert the window and be all set to sew.  Thanks.

QuoteKeep in mind you might need to use the clear that has the DOT stamp on it.

Thanks for commenting about the DOT stamped material.  I will be buying
small precut sheets and will ask about that. 

Quotesounds like a Kubelwagen

Yes Richard, some resemblance but less of a military look and it sold in the states only in a two rear wheel drive only.  It is one of the items some VW lovers collect.  For a small air cooled non pretentious care in its day, it does have considerable room.  Not many around here anymore because of the rust that was typical among all cars back then.

Thanks all,

Doyle

stitcher_guy

DB, if you haven't sewn them yet, have you checked with the many VW suppliers out there about simply buying replacement door curtains for the thing? In most catalogs or parts supplies they go by the official designation of Type 181. Most suppliers do carry Thing-related parts, even though they were only imported to the US in 1973 and 74, but they were popular in many other countries. And no, they are no longer produced.

What I have done with a number of clear vinyl replacements is to sew the new to the back of the panel while the original vinyl stays in place. Then I cut away the old. It sounds like you are wanting a more original look rather than cost-savings. If i go this route, i usually just put a couple tacks of thread around the perimeter to ensure the panels stay even. Or, you might dab some HH66 glue (Miami and I believe DLT sells small cans) which melds vinyl to vinyl and makes a very permanent hold. This will keep everything in place for you as you sew. As for DOT approved, you're just doing the side curtains, yes? For durability, I use 40gauge clear, but have done sidings in as thin as 20 (seldome used) with no problem.

baileyuph

Yes, the customer wants to keep the car original.

I did get the job and redid the seats and that was fun.  They look simpler than actually are.  Catching up, I got the job and everything is done but the door glass.

Thanks for your input and now I am going to get the 40 guage plastic and start my replacement strategy.  The driver's door is a bit more detailed, it has a small window inset that permits the driver to stick his hand out of the window, important for example if it wasn't there he would have to stop and get out to do a lot of things like pay a toll or?

Let you know how this comes out.  I really enjoyed doing the seats, back ot original, I like challenges that require precision and this did.  Also, it gave me another chance to see how well the Germans did things and the quality of vinyl they used back then.  Great material, probably can't find anymore of that type with the drill backing.

Doyle