Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 05, 2024, 03:49:21 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Self Welting - Do you do it - well?

Started by baileyuph, July 24, 2011, 06:07:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

I will define the term "self welting" :  In box cushion fabrication the boxing material also covers the cord.

Manufacturers most of the time use this technique in covering the cord in the cushion cover.

I understand that at the manufacturing level, the boxing is attached to the plates and in the process the cord is inserted into the seam all in one pass.

I do not do self welting in my custom, small shop, operation because I do not have the attachments and machine dedicated to that task as manufacturers do.

However, I do on occasion have to sew a self welt to satisfy a repair requirement.  I do find, even in the repair process, that recreating the self welt effect a challenge and a very inefficient process, with my equipment.

To recapture a self welt seam as systematically even as the factory, I have to trace all fold lines on the back side of the upholstery material and slowly fold the material using these lines to get the folds perfectly and while I sew very slowly insert the cord.  It does get the job done but, like I said, not an efficient process for me.

Which leads me to the obvious question:  Does anyone have an efficient procedure for recapturing a self welt cord?  If so, mind sharing how you do it and with what equipment. 

It is the repairs that require me to engage in self welting, otherwise it is faster to make a box cushion with cording by the traditional method.

Doyle

sofadoc

Yeah, I see no advantage for a small "one-at-a-time" shop to employ self-welting. It's great for factories that are mass-producing from a template.
As for repairs, I cut a slit along the fold, and seperate the self-welting when I can.
I guess it depends on what part you are repairing (top panel, boxing, welt).
It seems like there is a high rate of broken stitches on factory self-welted cushions.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

I also use to do quite a bit of self welt for a store i did repair work for. It was a PITA but never found an easier way than to just take the time to refold it like it was. Most of these were either open seams or cushions that needed to be cut down.
  Your doing it the best way possible for a repair.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

These factories are significantly advanced in technology and give credence to "they don't build this stuff where we can work on it". 

Over time, much of my furniture work has relegated my shop to repairs.  Even some of them are as we are discussing.

Thanks,

Doyle

Hell Bat

Only time I tryed to fix old cushion,I had to staple stuff and pull them out after. I just could not hold that much stuff right.

gene

I also follow the old seam lines when I can, to resew this type of self welting. When I have to add fabric to the boxing I try to eye ball it rather than drawing seam lines on the fabric. That is a good idea though.

I use my welt foot and pull the fabric taut, then sew away. It is time consuming.

I occasionally will sew a boxed cushion with this method when I have a striped fabric and I want the stripes to run through the welt cord and down the boxing - on the front of the cushion only. It is faster if you have the machinery for it. I would think that you would have to be a factory with high volume to justify the cost.

Here's a link on how to do it.

http://www.carrscorner.com/selfwelt.php

I learned from the Merv Knutson's Merv Upholstery Training DVD's.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

needles eye

Hey that labour chart on your link was way cool
now posted it up in me cutting room
it'll take me years to get up to speed but thanking you for something to shoot for

re piping, love this bloke  -

http://www.eisenbergupholstery.com/Boxed_welted_cushion.html