Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 07, 2024, 09:35:05 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

needle hitting the bobbin case

Started by christwo, July 02, 2011, 08:41:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

christwo

on my lu-562 i tried inserting a #23 needle.. but when i did on the down stroke it hits the bobbin case, is that because the size of the needle or is it something entirely different? i took the needle out as soon as i put it in and replaced it with the #19. any input would be appreciated because i would like to use the bigger guage needle

Mojo

I would say something else is at play there. Changing from a 19 to a 23 should not cause the needle to hit the case. Have you checked the clearance specs to see if your machine is OK and it has the proper clearance ?

Chris

kodydog

Did you double check to see if the needle was fully seated in the hole. Only thing I can think of.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

baileyuph

Others have suggested making sure needle is pushed all the way up during installation. 

Another common check would be to check that the #23 is exactly the same length as the #19 needle that works.  That machine will use a #23 guage but it has to be at a specified length as well.

Point is, two needles can be different guage and work as long as the length of the needles are with spec for that machine.

If length is not the issue, handwheel the needle slowly and determine what it literall is hitting and go from there, should it be adjustment/alignment.

Doyle

Lynn

I'm with Doyle's line of thinking. Sounds like you have two different types of needles. Check the packaging, the first set of numbers and letters should be identical.
Lynn
Life's too short.....let's go fishing!!!

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Not too much to add, like said check that needle is inserted all the way up into the needle bar.  You can check this by seeing the top of the needle shank touching the to of the window above the needle set screw.  Also check to insure proper needle system is being used, system 135x17 also known as dpx17.  Any other needle system for this machine is incorrect and will not work.

christwo

Ive tried to post a reply on this thread numerous times and it never lets me I'm not sure why. the issue at hand was actually pretty elementary, i just grabbed a bent needle from the stack and paniced ha ha.

fragged8

are you sure the needle is hitting the bobbin case?
or could it be that the hook is hitting the needle ?

if your machine was set up using a smaller diameter needle
the hook to needle gap might not enough when up sizing the needle.

just guessing.

Rich