Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 07, 2024, 09:34:03 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

The Gathering

Started by gene, June 25, 2011, 02:25:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JuneC

Anyhoo, to get this thread back on track - sorry for the rant :-[ - I'd be interested in info on the drive mechanism for the feed dogs as well.  My new/old black singer - the one with the totally wrong hook - has an issue with the feed dogs and feet not being in complete agreement as to when and where to move.  They meet forward, travel back together, then on the return to forward, the feet grate forward over the dogs - probably 1/8" or so.  It's not so noticeable when there's fabric in the machine, but hand cranking the wheel shows there's a real issue.  This not working in unison thing makes a mess of vinyl and gives inconsistent stitch length.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

June 27, 2011, 09:13:05 am #16 Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 09:18:42 am by Gregg @ Keystone Sewing
http://keysew.com/Webpages/DemoImages/Vibpressfoot.jpg

This place goes on a tangent in a New York minute anymore!

OK, see attached.  This is what I'm thinking could be an issue.  AGAIN, this is a possilbiity, not for certain the issue here.  If I'm not mistaken, most LU-562/3 models ahve a slot or flat for the screw to fall onto so this is a fixed adjustment.  I've seen some where the slot or flat is off, too, but this is not likely.  

To see if the screw on the eccentric cam falls onto a slot, take ONE screw out at a time, with the other tight.  You will see a slot or flat spot, if any under one of them.  If this is the case, one of the two screws are either on the incorrect spot, or there may not be any at all.  If this is the case, follow the detailed instructions that may help.  In addtion to what they are stating in the book here, I ALSO do my own test; One, make sure the material is not being pushed backwards even a fraction of a MM.  Nothing back or toward the operater while in reg. forward sewing.  A trick is to use a piece of cardboard for accuarte inspection.  Also, I will cycle the machine by hand, with no drive belt from the motor slowly and hit the reverse, to see that it's working smoothly.  If the feed timing is off, it will often catch or snag.

AGAIN, all of this is for an adjustment that many or may not even be the issue at hand, so use this mini guide as a reference only, but it is possible it may help from what I'm reading here.  No definitive answer for us here. 

gene

I checked the two screws and they are as they should be if I am understanding correctly. I took one of the screws out and there was a slit under it. The needles and the vibrating foot do what your paper shows they should do.

As I was turning the wheel by hand, very slowly, I saw that the vibrating foot, when returning toward the operator, is pushing the thread toward the operator, as the needle is rising, and this is what is causing the fabric to be pulled back toward the operator. Is this a function of too tight thread tension??? or something else going on?

Thank you,

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Darren Henry

I have found that too much thread tension (even balanced top/bottom) will cause this as will too much pressure on the presser foot.

Just my 2.03 ¢ . :)
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!