Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 29, 2024, 11:21:35 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Using sew foam

Started by jeepdoc, June 13, 2011, 08:06:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jeepdoc

Ok trying to get better results by using sew foam. First of all which way is right? material side to back of vinyl or foam side? I did a rounded back bucket seat from my boat this weekend in which I gluded lightly the out side back foam side to the back of the vinyl. By the time I was done sewing it togeather it was wrinkle city. The foam I used was 1/2in on the outside back and 1/4in on everything else the 1/4in looks good.
Thanks Jeff

jojo

You glue the foam side to the vinyl. Then what I do is sew all around the pieces as close to the edge as possible before I sew the pieces together. This compresses the foam and makes it much easier to get under the foot and see that you have the pieces aligned. Not sure why you are getting wrinkles....are you using a walking foot sewing machine?

jeepdoc

Yes im using a singer 111w the wrinkles are out in the middle of the piece like maybe when i folded the material to sew it is that normal and just need to steam them out? the piece was pretty large so folding was a must to get it all sewn up. What glue do you use i used some 3m 77
thanks again

Miami Mike

Foam side to fabric or vinyl.  the scrim of cloth on the otherside of the foam holds the stitch from cutting into the foam.
WeatherMax 80 WeatherMax FR WeatherMax LT Recacril Design Line Recacril Stripes Outdura Outdura Stripes Outdura Weblon Regatta, Holiday Top Notch Top Notch Elite Top Gun Vista Odyssey III Softouch Strata Glass Crystal Clear OSea Glass Regalite Glass Sattler Nautimar Soluna

scottymc

Quote from: jojo on June 13, 2011, 08:40:34 am
You glue the foam side to the vinyl. Then what I do is sew all around the pieces as close to the edge as possible before I sew the pieces together. This compresses the foam and makes it much easier to get under the foot and see that you have the pieces aligned. Not sure why you are getting wrinkles....are you using a walking foot sewing machine?

What jojo said, but I never glue it, just lay the material flat and sew around the edges.

MinUph

I don't personally use foam on an outside back unless it has some sort of stitching on it. I do sew the perimeter as it helps keep things flat and in place. Glue might or might not be used depending on size and shape. It really only helps keep the sandwich together while working. Your wrinkles are more likely from the sewing or you haven't put the cover  on yet to stretch it into shape.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

jeepdoc

Thanks for the replies ill try just sewing next time the only reason i used that foam on the outside back cause i was too cheap to replace the foam. Also modified the seat by removing the useless headrest so the sew foam is hiding some foam work should of just replaced the seat foam HaHa.
Another thing I found by glueing the vinyl to the foam was that I may have streched the vinyl slightly because after adding the foam to my cut out pieces to be sewn found that my parts grew slightly throwing off my patterns

Peppy

If I wanted to spruce up crappy foam I would have glued the sew foam over the crappy foam. Just because it's called 'sew foam' doesn't mean you have to sew it.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

Mojo

Quote from: jojo on June 13, 2011, 08:40:34 am
You glue the foam side to the vinyl. Then what I do is sew all around the pieces as close to the edge as possible before I sew the pieces together. This compresses the foam and makes it much easier to get under the foot and see that you have the pieces aligned.

Ditto.....

Chris

JuneC

Always be careful using sew foam as a liner on inside curves.  Especially with vinyl.  I've been bitten numerous times by the foam tricot not having as much stretch as the vinyl.  Cut all pieces, sew/glue/staple to vinyl, sew together, and the tight tricot will cause your vinyl to wrinkle on the inside of the curve.  The foam sheet needs to be oversized.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields