Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 07, 2024, 02:35:35 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Hi everyone! :)

Started by Docho, June 10, 2011, 01:34:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Docho

June 10, 2011, 01:34:57 pm Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 01:37:39 pm by Docho
I'm new in this forum and very,very happy to be here! Quite interesting and useful topics in great numbers.
Honestly I've been really surprised to discover such a forum.In my country to find any kind of information about upholstery is extremely difficult.Every upholsterer keeps his own work and methods like a state secret.
With no doubt your forum is a great place for exchange of ideas,solutions and all kind of information.
I live in Bulgaria-a small country in Europe so I'm not native english speaking....Please excuse me in advance whenever I do mistakes writing posts for example. :)

Mojo

Welcome to the forum. Do not worry about your English. This is our native language here and few of us are very good at it when posting. :)

We have a great group of people here who enjoy sharing their knowledge and many of us who run into a problem come here for help.

When you have a chance be sure and tell us more about your upholstery wok there.

Chris

sofadoc

Welcome, Docho.
It's only your first post, and you've already made an interesting point. Many upholsterers DO keep their techniques secretive. We've had several newbies come on here complaining that no one will give them a chance to learn by apprenticeship.
Some feel that since THEY had to learn the hard way, why should they give their knowledge away to someone who may end up competing against them?
This bunch is pretty good about sharing, even with DIY'ers who are just trying to avoid paying a professional.
You're already a leg up on the rest of us.......you taught your cat to sew!!
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Docho

June 10, 2011, 03:54:42 pm #3 Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 04:15:27 pm by Docho
Hello,you make me die laughing!  :D If my cat was able to sew...I'll be probably at circus not at forum as this.  :D I choose this picture because I like cats and I enjoy sewing very much so the pictures is combination between both of them.
Yes,I agree with you about upholstery secrets and techniques.Actually I'm self trained and most of the things I know I learned from my work,as you said "in the hard way".Here in Bulgaria there are no automotive upholstery courses,only very short trainings for furniture upholsterers...not sufficient at all.

jsquail

Welcome to the forum!!!
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com
I can be found on Facebook and Google+ as Gloucester Canvas

Steve at Silverstone Fabrics

Docho, Welcome to our community.

There are some very talented and knowledgeable people that post here.

Questions are always answered with thought and care.

The best reward you will receive from our community is when you are able to share your knowledge and answer another upholsterers question. Steve

MinUph

Welcome aboard Docho,
  As noted by others there are many good people here. Glad you found us.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mike8560

Hi there Docho!
Do you do any marine uphstrry or is there boat canvas work were you  are? 

Docho

Quote from: MinUph on June 10, 2011, 06:10:13 pm
Welcome aboard Docho,
  As noted by others there are many good people here. Glad you found us.

Thank you for your great welcome. :)

Docho

June 11, 2011, 09:30:09 am #9 Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 10:14:03 am by Docho
Quote from: Mike8560 on June 11, 2011, 06:29:31 am
Hi there Docho!
Do you do any marine uphstrry or is there boat canvas work were you  are?  

Hi Mike,
I live in the middle of my country and there is no seaside,but I guess there are some boat canvas work at places near the seaside.I do automotive upholstery.
As a whole the upholstery business in my country is not very popular,especially in the small towns.Most of the upholstery shops are overloaded with work so the customers are forced to wait for a long time...

Docho

June 11, 2011, 10:32:17 am #10 Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 11:16:02 am by Docho
On the pictures below you can see some of the tools I work with.Yes,I mean these former dentist's instruments.
At first sight they look pretty strange and without any particular use in upholstery work,but I think that their unusual shape is exactly what makes them quite usefull...I got it from my practise.
Once a friend of mine who is a dentist explained me that he's going to throw them out because of the dents,scratches and damages on their surface.I decided to check  how useful they can be so I kept them.
The main advantages of dentist instruments are extreme solidity and pricision,especially the pliers-dentists call them extractors...not a pleasant word  :D
Anyway these instruments are handy and help me a lot.

http://s1112.photobucket.com/albums/k493/Docho/?action=view&current=11062011001.jpg
http://s1112.photobucket.com/albums/k493/Docho/?action=view&current=11062011.jpg
http://s1112.photobucket.com/albums/k493/Docho/?action=view&current=11062011002.jpg

kodydog

Quote from: Docho on June 10, 2011, 01:34:57 pm
Honestly I've been really surprised to discover such a forum.In my country to find any kind of information about upholstery is extremely difficult.Every upholsterer keeps his own work and methods like a state secret.
With no doubt your forum is a great place for exchange of ideas,solutions and all kind of information.

Welcome to the website Docho. I like to believe there is plenty of business for everyone and when a new person comes to town I don't mind helping them as much as I reasonably can. I've been known to send jobs to other upholsters if I'm too busy or if the coustomer needs it right away. In the end this helps my business more than hurts it.
Abundance. If you believe there's plenty if work for everyone there always will be. If you believe the opposite you'll always be searching for the next customer.

Just an old upholsterers opinion.  :)
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Docho

If you believe there's plenty if work for everyone there always will be. If you believe the opposite you'll always be searching for the next customer.

Just an old upholsterers opinion.  :)
[/quote]

Thank you!  :)
Totaly agree with you! I always stay positive and try to have the right attitude toward people. Fishermen say that every fisherman catches his own fishes (I've tried to translate it in English)  :) which means not to worry,because there are enough customers if you desire for work.