Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 07, 2024, 02:27:32 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Dye stains on vinyl.

Started by Grebo, June 02, 2011, 08:53:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Grebo

Hi, I have been helping out the OH with a couple of jobs, one is cleaning a bunch of saloon vinyl covered cushions, cream of course ( how I love cleaning  :( )  Well I gave them a good scrubbing with some jiff & they have come up real nice, apart from a couple of patches where I can see that the colouring has come out of some scatter cushions. Red & Blue  ???
I have no idea what kind of vinyl it is, fairly soft to the touch with a small 'leather look' grain to it.
Any bright ideas on what might shift the dye ?

Suzi

Mike8560

Fry mr. Cleans majik eraser

Grebo

Thanks Mike, will try it tomorrow.  ;D

Suzi

byhammerandhand

It's been a few years since I've done vinyl work, however:

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is a light abrasive.  It might be too abrasive.   I use it to remove scuff marks and errant spray colored lacquer from painted walls and trim.

You might try isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) as it is a selective solvent for many dyes and inks.   Do not use methanol (wood alcohol) as it can strip the protective and color layer right off.  Dampen a rag and use a sweeping motion.

Before you use either of the above, run a test in an inconspicuous spot to make sure you will "do no harm."

Some dyes will not come out successfully from a light colored vinyl (or leather) and the cure is to get  out what you can then re-color with leather / vinyl color coats.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Grebo

Thanks Keith, I didn't make it back to the boat today so will go armed with magic clean & rubbing alcohol on Monday  ;D

Suzi

scottymc

I find that wax and grease remover is on of the best things to use, it come under a variety of names that I cant recall at the moment. The stuff to use though is what is used in the auto paint shops, it is used as the last thing to wipe a car down before it is sprayed but does not affect the existing paintwork, which is what vinyl basically is, fabric with a paint job (try cleaning it with paint thinners and you will see) Handy stuff to have around ,good prep before gluing, which reminds me we call it "prepsol over here. 

DBR1957

An associate of mine use to do auto upholstery and used a product called
Acryliclean to remove marks. My favorite is 3M Sharpshooter. I use it first
before any alcohol, acetone or solvent type cleaner. If the 3M won't get
it off I warn the customer I'm not responsible for damage/discoloration before
I try a solvent.