Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 03, 2024, 10:27:44 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Motorcycle seat pattern

Started by jojo, May 26, 2011, 01:02:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Hi guys,

How do you deal with something like this? I have this motorcycle seat, so since the vinyl wasn't in too bad shape, I thought I'd take it off and make a pattern from the old one. I'm usually really good at making patterns out of weather beaten covers, but this one has so many buckles that it won't' lay anywhere near flat. I put it out in the hot sun which made it nice and pliable, but when I put weights on it, there's just too much fabric left over when I trace around the curves.

Advice?

fragged8

May 26, 2011, 02:00:54 pm #1 Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 02:07:23 pm by fragged8
hiya

I no expert at bike seats but the only 2 i did I drew the
seam lines on the foam and used pvc window material
or canvex to pattern right off the seat.

use a nice stretchy material, 4 way stretch is good

this one took a ton of pulling to get the front curve to sit flat.

jojo

Thank you so much! Don't know why I didn't think of that. :-[
I was trying to lay the black vinyl on the seat and somehow get a pattern that way, but I couldn't see the foam!
You really made my day!

Mike8560

I'd do like rich said.  But I have used a old skin and made cuts I. The edge to let it lay flat. 
I've also layed window vinyl over the skin to bald it down flat and then mark
y pattern shape make reference mark and make he line up steaching where needed to to make the seam work.
Sometimes you will need glue in the botto
of the seat   

scarab29

Material may help too. Allsport that stretches both ways is the shizzy for these nutty seats !!
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

jojo

Mike,
The original was indeed cemented to the foam, so I plan to do that too. That is a good suggestion to make relief cuts; I'll try that first...it'll save me a trip to Joanns (or as I like to call it, "hell") for the clear vinyl.
Scarab, I will try this next time, but I've already purchased the vinyl (Spradling).
Thanks guys!

Saddleman

Take the trip to Hell for the clear vinyl or Wally World has it too if they have a fabric dept and it will be cheaper.  I always get a better fitting cover if I pull a new pattern off the seat, versus trying to copy the old one.  Just my 2 cents worth.

fragged8

Wally World hehe wheres Wally ..

i never knew there was such a place.

Rich

Mike8560

No walmart on the uk rich how about that

Home depot also has  Clear 6 mil plastic

fragged8

we have walmart under a different name. Asda