Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

August 20, 2024, 03:57:04 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

I Need Your Input

Started by Mojo, May 15, 2011, 07:13:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

On the awning jobs I do for dealers I have to give a written warranty to the customer. I have no problem with this as my competition ( the large awning manufacturers ) do the same thing. I have studied their warranties and feel I would be safe offering a three year replacement warranty on materials and workmanship. The fabric ( Recacril ) is warranted for 5 years and Solarfix thread ( Tenara ) is warranted for the life of the fabric.

I am curious if any of you offer any warranties on your work ?

Have any of you ever had to fix or replace and of your work or have you ever had to replace fabric that failed
on behalf of the fabric manufacturer ?

I will post a bit of my warranty so you guys can read the legalese.

Thanks for your input.

Mojo

Mojo

My warranty.

Stone Vos Inc. warrants your Wearforce awning for 3 years from the date of purchase. If your awning should fail Stone Vos Inc. will provide you with a replacement fabric for your awning. This warranty does not apply to deterioration of any kind due to abusive use, accidental burns, negligence, vandalism, perforations, natural disasters or acts of nature. Normal wear, weather soiling, or stains from environmental pollution or other sources are not covered. The product must be properly installed and maintained. This warranty does not cover the cost of labor, frames, systems and installation costs supplied by the dealer.  There are no other warranties, expressed or implied, that extend beyond the description of this warranty.

SHHR

This will probably one day come back to bite me in the butt, but right now I just tell people if they have problems let me know and I'll fix it if I'm reasonably sure it's from either my work or bad material. So far I've never had a problem.

Living near the Ohio River and several lakes I get a lot of boats of all types. If the boat comes in and is in bad shape to start with; faded Gel Coat, rotted interior, spongy floors, no cover or a very ragged one. Then I usually pass on telling the customer to let me know if they have problems because it's usually evident they don't take care of their equipment.

One instance right now is I made a pontoon cover last year and just got a call from them for repair. They brought it out of storage and then we had about a weeks worth of storms. Strong winds lifted the cover enough for a support pole to fall out then the 10 inches of rain we got pooled in and ripped some seams and pulled the vents out of the top.

Even though they're not giving me any grief and they are taking the blame for the damage, I thought I'd do any sewing on the seams for free, but charge for any supplies I have to buy like new vents and support poles.

I also do repairs for a local pool co. the use automatic pool covers on their inground pools. I'll re-stitch the side tracks on the covers or install new ones when they're too far gone. I've started to re-do some that I've repaired 4 or 5 years ago now, but I don't warranty those either since the cover is exposed to such extremes; Chlorine, 100 degree summers, 0 degree winters, usually the covers have mold and dirt caked on the edges too.

Kyle

Grebo

Quote from: SHHR on May 16, 2011, 04:09:21 am
This will probably one day come back to bite me in the butt, but right now I just tell people if they have problems let me know and I'll fix it if I'm reasonably sure it's from either my work or bad material. So far I've never had a problem.

Living near the Ohio River and several lakes I get a lot of boats of all types. If the boat comes in and is in bad shape to start with; faded Gel Coat, rotted interior, spongy floors, no cover or a very ragged one. Then I usually pass on telling the customer to let me know if they have problems because it's usually evident they don't take care of their equipment.

One instance right now is I made a pontoon cover last year and just got a call from them for repair. They brought it out of storage and then we had about a weeks worth of storms. Strong winds lifted the cover enough for a support pole to fall out then the 10 inches of rain we got pooled in and ripped some seams and pulled the vents out of the top.

Even though they're not giving me any grief and they are taking the blame for the damage, I thought I'd do any sewing on the seams for free, but charge for any supplies I have to buy like new vents and support poles.

I also do repairs for a local pool co. the use automatic pool covers on their inground pools. I'll re-stitch the side tracks on the covers or install new ones when they're too far gone. I've started to re-do some that I've repaired 4 or 5 years ago now, but I don't warranty those either since the cover is exposed to such extremes; Chlorine, 100 degree summers, 0 degree winters, usually the covers have mold and dirt caked on the edges too.

Kyle

Me too, the way customers abuse stuff there is no way I would give a written guarantee, but if I can see it's genuine I will do it for free & always tell them on delivery to let me know if anythings not right or they want it changing.

Suzi

Can-Vas

Hey Mojo;
This seems to be a 'limited warranty' and thus is pretty safe.  Your attitude seems fair and sensible - I don't think you will have any problems with this one.
-How-
I'd rather be sailing..  - but if ya gotta work it's nice to be around boats!

Mike8560

Like rhe others here I just tell them to give me s call if sothing happens
never had a poe
with faulty fabric gave out the sun fella warrenty cards but never had one come I'

in in 25 years.
Your deal
sounds fine to me chris

Mojo

Thanks gang.

One everything else I sew I do the same as you, tell them to call if there is a problem. I have never had anything come back to me for repairs or replacement.

I wouldn't bother with a written warranty in this case but the dealers demand it.

Chris

sofadoc

In the furniture biz, I've never even been asked to provide a written warranty.
So naturally, I've never offered one up.
When I look for a warranty on a product, I always like the ones that break everything into two catagories:
What IS covered, and what IS NOT covered.
Mojo: I think the verbage in your warranty will protect you from being taken advantage of. If it satisfies your dealer, it looks like a winner.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban