Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 07, 2024, 06:30:31 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Having a bad week but need to stop and laugh at myself

Started by SHHR, May 18, 2011, 01:22:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SHHR

The last few weeks have been bad in my book for different reasons. Examples are #1. Weather, we've had a few weeks back of constant storms and heavy rains (that's now resulting in the flooding in Mississippi and Louisiana). Anyway during that my shop was lightly flooded. No real damage, but days of lost work from the water and clean-up time. #2 no big jobs coming in, although lot's of little ones (I suppose 2-3 small jobs a day equals 1 big one at the end of the week though). The big ones I've quoted, most customers have backed off on. I'm guessing either the uncertain weather or economy still is the blame. # 3 I just feel like I'm no accomplishing as much as I'm capable of as well. I have a few more personal reasons I won't bore you with too.

This morning something happened though that at first really set me off, but after I finished and took time to cool off. I had to stop and really laugh at myself considering if I witnessed someone else doing it, I would have been on the floor rolling.

I've posted before I repair covers for a local pool company. I picked one up from them last Friday and usually I pick them up and throw them in the back of my truck to bring home. This time the guys there loaded it for me and used a forklift which I didn't think anything about.
  When I got back home with it, I did the usual and slid it out of the back of my truck at the front corner of my shop. I've put it on hold repairing it since we've had rain again since Saturday. I knew they'd be wanting it back so this morning (in the drizzling rain I stretched it out in the drive out front of the shop to check it out.
  First thing I notice was this cover was bigger than any I've repaired before at roughly 60'x30' (my shop is 40'x30' so they don't get repaired inside). luckily just the front corner nearest the overhead door needed the repair piece sewed in which is about 2 1/2' long. I cut out the bad section and moved my machine over to the overhead door and fairly quickly had the repair finished.
  Now for the funny part. After the repair I pulled the cover over into the grass in front of the shop to attempt to fold it up like it was before. It resembles an accordian when folded so it can be installed easier on the pool. Anyway the ground has a slight slope to it there and you have to walk on the cover to properly fold it (did I mention it was drizzling rain? also I'm 6'4" and 280 Lbs). The cover is made out of material like Tuff Stuff or Herculite so I basically had an elephant sized slip and slide. I was on the ground more than I was standing all while the guy across the street was standing out watching me. I don't remember, but was undoubtedly spewing words that only a drunken sailor would be saying.
  Afterwards I found out why they used a forklift to load it up at the pool store as well. I had to end up calling my dad who lives 8 miles away to come over to help me load it. Afterwards I changed my WET clothes and delivered it to the shop which I was paid cash (so all was not bad).

Forgive my rants but sometimes we just need to tell on ourselves to have a laugh.
Kyle

bobbin

A giant "slip 'n' slide"... Lol.  (if I'd seen you struggling with it I'd have come over to see if I could have helped you out, though).    It's important to be able to laugh at ourselves.  :)

I bet that was one really heavy sucker.  I worked on a truck tarp once that was so big I couldn't move it by myself.  Sucked. 

fragged8

hehe you could have opened a water slide up for the weekend and got
paid twice :-)

Rich

Mojo

Kyle:

If I had seen you falling and struggling I would have come over and helped you too............Once I got up off the ground myself from laughing.

Trust me when I say...........life is so much better ( and happier ) when you can spend it laughing. Even if its at yourself......:)

Chris