Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 11, 2024, 09:03:22 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

The End Is Near!!!

Started by jojo, May 14, 2011, 03:32:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Uh oh...we're sunk now; just caught this commercial on tv:

https://www.furniturefix.com/

How will we ever compete with this "system"? :o

bobbin

I've seen that ad, too.  Cracked me right up. 

I would have had my hindquarters thoroughly warmed had I ever jumped on the furniture, lol.  I grew up in a home with antiques and the 'rents were both big on making sure the history of the pieces was made manifest.  No wonder I still look at kerbside cast-offs and think of how great they'd look fully restored...

:)

sofadoc

Hey, you KNOW it works! Cause in the "before" picture, the woman has a painful look on her face, and in the "after" picture, she's all smiles. :)
I'm still waiting for my "Mr. Microphone" to come in.
When I was a kid, my mom bought those "Ginsu Knives" because they had a 50 year guarantee. It's been at least 40 years now. I wonder what my chances of getting a refund are?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike8560

Quote from: bobbin on May 14, 2011, 04:15:48 pm
I've seen that ad, too.  Cracked me right up. 

I would have had my hindquarters thoroughly warmed had I ever jumped on the furniture, lol.  I grew up in a home with antiques and the 'rents were both big on making sure the history of the pieces was made manifest.  No wonder I still look at kerbside cast-offs and think of how great they'd look fully restored...

:)

ya feet off the furniture and  not on the coffee table never even thought of sitting on the arm of the couch.
Ever see the. Ouch in the basement of  That 70s show?
In my day kiss were to be see. And not heard     

BigJohn

Years ago they made a folding stiffener to put between your box spring and mattress to get rid of the sag., didn't work then.

gene

May 15, 2011, 05:57:30 am #5 Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 06:05:52 am by gene
The couch stayed firm, but did you notice the floor bend when those two sumo wrestlers sat down?

Get a can of that fabric spray paint that you spray on your sofa to make the fabric look brand new, and furniture upholsterers will be out of business.

With all the colors of duct tape now available, I know the end is in sight for marine upholsters.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mojo

Speaking of sagging couches. I can remember when my first wife and I got married we were poor as church mice. We had a couch that I put a piece of plywood on between the cushions and frame because the springs were shot. One corner of the couch the leg was gone and was propped up with a small paint can. :)

We used that couch for a year before we could finally afford to buy a decent second hand couch. I made an entertainment center using cement blocks and boards. Our bed was from the early 1900's and every time you sat on it you thought it was going to come crashing down. Our mattress was second hand as well and we had plywood for a box spring.

Our dining room table and two chairs were all old and worn out and none of it matched.

The good old days. :)

Chris

CKKC

Mojo, all that sounds just like what I'm using now!

Mojo

If I had it all to do over again I wouldn't change a thing ( well maybe the wife unit ). :)

I think struggling like that at a young age made me more responsible and I matured quicker ( or as quick as a male can mature ). It also gave me a deeper appreciation for money and managing it. Later down the road when I did get nice things I appreciated them more.

I am sure there are a whole lot of people who struggled like I did. It is all part of growing up and adds character. :)

Chris

kodydog

That's true Mojo. My mom cry's about her grandson and his wife who cannot afford to buy a house. But its simply not true. He's a collage grad with a good job. Maybe he can't afford a $250k house yet but there are plenty of houses in the $80k range he could afford. I've seen them. Maybe not the best neighborhood but certainly not the worst.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

hidebound

When I was first married the first place we lived was an apartment above a paint and hardware store. There was a hallway all the way around the perimeter of the building, therefore there was no exterior windows. We had to share a bath with the neighbor next door. The kitchen was so small we had to set our big old refrigerator in the living room. I paid a whopping $35 a month for all of this. Needless to say, 35 years later I have a deep seated appreciation for the $100,000 place I own now. Makes it a pleasure to do the little things, and even the big things to keep it up. I hope that means there has been some character added.