Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 07, 2024, 06:04:25 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

put your thinking tougues on

Started by Darren Henry, May 09, 2011, 05:03:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Henry

So I'm driving the old lady home to Winnipeg yesterday when the one brain cell says to what's left of the other one ; "Why couldn't one replace the canvas on a pop up camper with hard sides?"  I think it would fill a real niche market: not everyone who is tired of the problems with and/or needs new canvas (gotta dry it ,don't touch it if it's raining,----) has the tow vehicle or budget to move up to a hard sided camper. I'd use Dibond , a thin PVC substrate with an aluminum skin on both sides, and have the panels slide into tracks in the "lid" for storeage and drop into a track around the hull on deployment. Wind-lace of some sort and --turnbuckles/velcro ?? would seal the joints. My conundrum is the windows/screens etc...I don't want the weight and thickness of conventional RV windows, but I would find it hard to market window plastic duct taped to the skin with no screens.

I'm all ears you clever buggars. :-* :-* :-*
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

kodydog

Hay Darren, what is that your drinking in that little photo to the left ;D
I know your looking for solutions but I see one little problem with the storage. On my pop-up I added two inch memory foam to the beds and now the top fights me every time I put it down. This tells me there is not much space between the bed and the ceiling. I'm a life long pop-up camper. Just spent 6 weeks in S. Fl in one, came home for 2 weeks and then went to St Augustine for a week. I'm sure you've seen the A frame campers, very light weight but not as much room as a pop-up. They use glass in those. I'll give your idea more thought.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Darren Henry

Hey Kody; Being this side of the 49th --- that would be a beer,eh!

I have already factored the thickness thing into my concept (even tough I'm gaining the thickness of that wad of canvas). I anticipate having to make the lid the thicker. I will have to modify the sides of it anyway ,so that they open to pull the panels out ,and then close back up to seal . Good thought ,though. Thanks.

Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Peppy

How thick is this 'substrate'. Is it sturdy like plywood or like cardboard? Could you sew it? Pop rivet it? Is it bigger than a bread box?
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

Darren Henry

QuoteHow thick is this 'substrate'. Is it sturdy like plywood or like cardboard? Could you sew it? Pop rivet it? Is it bigger than a bread box?

It's available in 3,4.5, or 6 mm in 4X8 or 4X10 sheets. It is stronger than plywood,but a little more flexible. I might add ribs or folds if required. Pop rivets etc would work ,but I was hoping to avoid the "garage fix" look.

Darren Henry

QuoteI'm sure you've seen the A frame campers, very light weight but not as much room as a pop-up. They use glass in those

Actually I haven't yet here in the Canadian boondocks.Thank you Scottymc for the pics. I thought Kody was talking about back when the air was clean sex was dirty ; the beds still pulled out for and aft but the canvas was an A frame in between (i.e no hard lid).  Those are like a fibreglass "pup tent"  :-\

byhammerandhand

Back when I had a pop up camper or two  (1980s), there was one brand of pop up with solid panels.  There are some old models to browse at this site http://www.apacheowners.com/    Note that they made both hard- and soft-sided.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Darren Henry

Thanks Keith. Haven't had a chance to look too deep into the site yet,but it seems to have alot of good info.

Peppy

Quote from: Darren Henry on May 11, 2011, 05:01:31 pm
. Pop rivets etc would work ,but I was hoping to avoid the "garage fix" look.

Hey man! You say 'garage fix' likes it's a bad thing! Pop rivets are space age!

I think you gotta go with something off the shelf from the RV or boat world. No sense reinventing the wheel. You could sew a window and screen with awning rail at the top and snaps or something. A hybrid- tent windows, stiff trailer.
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering