Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 07, 2024, 05:39:30 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Cutting Strataglass

Started by bobbin, May 03, 2011, 02:28:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jsquail

Quote from: bobbin on May 08, 2011, 03:17:17 pm
I have yet to meet the customer that is not "all about" money.  I see their eyes glaze over when given the estimate that includes the cost of Strata.  Getting them to accord me the time to do a complete glass removal... no way!

There is no way I could get our repair crowd to bite for the dough required to remove all traces of the previous window. 

I am "all about" your technique but for me ...  no matter how fabulous it may be, it won't be "worth it' for me.

I have to agree wit you on this. In the area i'm in the customer is more concerned about how much it isn't going to cost him versus how much of an exceptional job it is. Now don't get me wrong. I like to make my replacement jobs look top notch, but when they don't want to pay there has to be sacrifice somewhere. The only thing i have done the give the job a semi finished look is bind the edge of the new glass. Another thing i remind my customers about when replacing the glass is how many more years of service do they expect to get from the curtain(s) after the glass replacement. Truly, if you get another 2-3 years out of curtains that the glass is failing in you are doing very well. Of course this argument is totally different if the curtains are fairly new, but I don't see much of that.
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com
I can be found on Facebook and Google+ as Gloucester Canvas

JuneC

I cover the edge of the new glass with binding as well.  Most customers are just looking to extend the life of their canvas for one or two more seasons so price is the guiding factor.  I'll replace a large window for around $180-$250.  The same panel new would be $500 or more. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

RandyOnR3

Quote from: JuneC on May 09, 2011, 06:50:27 am
I cover the edge of the new glass with binding as well.  Most customers are just looking to extend the life of their canvas for one or two more seasons so price is the guiding factor.  I'll replace a large window for around $180-$250.  The same panel new would be $500 or more. 

June

Thats about the same price I sell it for..  so if the window is a 3x3 foot size, sell it for $200 to replace.. the strada glass cost me $120 a sheet, so I'm using 1/2 the sheet .. $60 for material and it takes about 30 to 45 minutes minutes to replace it..
  I dont see anything wrong with those numbers.. correct me if I'm wrong..

Mike8560

May 09, 2011, 11:52:46 am #18 Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 11:56:02 am by Mike8560
I got the job replacing the vinly on glacial bay 3 sides
2 sheet 2 new u zips 800.  

Ps now some customers would walk away  By but this guy has money an   oil vp and dosent mind. Spending what it's worth

RandyOnR3

Just a note about "STRADAGLASS".......Awhile back I approched tri-vantage about a discount when buying 10 or more sheets at a time, and compared them with the discount I get at Keyston Bros...
  The salesman made the remark about tri-vantage only selling "A" quality sheets and I must be buying a "SECOND" or "B" quality..
   Thinking he was full of it, I called stradaglass and sure nuff.. they do sell "A" quality as well as 3 different grades of "B" quality..
   "A" being NO flaws.. "B"1 being only flaws at the corners, "B"2 are flaws withing 1 inch of the outside and "B"3 meaning flaws anywhere..
    the guy at stradaglass also stated tri-vantage only buys "A" quality and Keyston buys "B" quality..
  he also said the drums are marked on the outside with an "X" on the top and the side for "B" quality..
sorry about hi-jacking the thread, but figured because were on the subject of stradaglass, its good knowledge to have......

Mike8560

I wonder if they have grade with there 20/20 also

JuneC

Randy, I've bought "seconds" from Keyston before.  Price for a 40 gauge sheet was really cheap - I don't remember exactly, but something like $65.  I decided after that it wasn't worth it.  It had some scratches right down the middle that were difficult to cut around.  They'd be a real bargain for someone who does mostly small windows.  But around here, I almost never get to do a small one. 

FYI, Manart-Hirsch has good quantity breaks for multiple drums of Strataglass.  It's just me and I don't like to store it so I never get more than 1 drum at a time. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike8560

Quote from: jsquail on May 09, 2011, 04:45:05 am

. The only thing i have done the give the job a semi finished look is bind the edge of the new glass.

if tour binding the "glass" first then sewing it onto the canvas. 
Try sewing or taping the vinyl I. Ace if you do t want too many threads
then sew on binding.  ( I use 3\4" )  flat biding the  raw cut. Edge of the vinyl.
To me this looks better not like a tacked on repair.  IMO